1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

map question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Darkrin, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Darkrin

Darkrin Member

not sure where to post this. i recently moved my campaign to dropbox. evidently before my last session the dropbox didnt fully upload all the work I did before I shut down the computer at work. so I played the night and came back to the computer updated it to where the group go to and told it to sync. it did. when I opened the updated file on the laptop it must have over wrote the one that was there because now I can not get anything but what I did last week which is way back in my work. I see previous sessions and conflict files in my D20Pro directories is there anyway to pull up what is in those files or am I just stuck with what I have?

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I'm not that familiar with DropBoxes syncing features, but I would suspect it is indeed out of sync or did some partial file replacements (which would really put wrench in the works).

I run off a NAS drive all the time and never have my actual game files on my PC or my laptop. Tho there is no syncing between local file storage and remote, it just uses the remote files directly.

I used to use a sync program once upon a time.. the golden rule is to sync from remote prior to starting the app, and then sync from local to remote once the session is finished. Never use the app with out syncing it before you start it or bad things can happen (indexes can get all outta whack).

and even so with syncing, it's always a really good idea to backup your 'campaigns folder' from time to time just to be really sure and safe.

another option you might try if dropbox is flaky; is just using a thumb drive to hold your game data.

then you can use the override directory file to point to that thumb drive on what ever machine you are working on.
    http://d20pro.com/guide/index.php/Campaign_Folder_Override

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Darkrin,

With D20PRO closed...

With Dropbox, you can rename:
    • The d20pro file to ____back1.extension(whatever extension it was)
      • Example: judge/campaigns/[campaign name]/game/Game.html > Game_back1.html
      • Example: judge/campaigns/[campaign name]/game/Game.html (Conflicted Copy by xxx on x/x/xx) > Game.html
      • Example: judge/campaigns/[campaign name]/stored/maps/926.obj > 926_back1.obj
      • Example: judge/campaigns/[campaign name]/stored/maps/926.obj (Conflicted Copy by xxx on x/x/xx) > 926_test.obj
    Then start D20PRO, and see what changed in your game log or map file (as in the example), or whatever you updated. Then if it is more current, you can delete the previous file (named ...back1.... ).

Game state is stored in judge/campaigns/[campaign name]/game/bak/gamestate.dat (it's always best to save the map - even if it's a copy)... though if the gamestate.dat has been changed, watch out for other changes in other files.

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions :)