1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Markers and visablity

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by KainPen, Dec 7, 2012.

1. KainPen

KainPen Member

Add the option to make markers visible based on fog of war like creatures. I know hovering over marks gives you discretion, but a double click like creatures would also be good on the player side, may make the marker menu pop up with right click.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks, good suggestion.

3. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

I know this is an old thread, but I was just coming on to request this very feature.

Having markers be able to react to FOW would be awesome.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for your input Lonewolf147. Currently we only have visible and invisible. Though dynamic option would be a good option for features sake. Is there a particular use case you would use this in? Since I haven't been able to come up with one, it's sitting on the back burner.

5. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

If you have a marker in a room that is currently covered by FoW, but the marker is set to Visible, then it sits and floats in the black space of the map for the player, and is visible. The player can click on it etc. If I put markers in the room for players to interact with, it would be nice for them to turn visible automatically when FoW is cleared, rather than me having to go around and manually turn them all visible.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

How do you use Map Makers?

I use Map Markers for my box text, and sounds primarily (I keep these invisible to the players). Secondary uses are when players find a secret door or when their search reveals something (in which I manually switch the visibility from invisible to visible) or as a pointer (which is always visible).

In the meantime... If you want an intractable item, what about putting a creature as a marker and use one of the map marker images as the "creature's" image (this is what I used to do before we had Map Markers to mark each room). Then the players can read anything you write in the description tab. And it will interact with the Fog of War.

7. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

Currently I use markers for several things. I'll use them as text for words that are written on walls/floors so the players can re-read them any time they want. I also use markers in place of tiles. I have issues with tiles, since they always snap to grid (a feature I requested be changed already). If I want to place an item in a certain spot of the room on a map that isn't perfectly aligned to the grid, a marker works great. Not so much a tile or even a character token.

I do also use them for sounds and other GM notes, those I keep hidden. But, if I want to dress up a room, I'm stuck with using either tiles or markers (or tokens) but each has a limitation so no one option works well.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!