1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

More Effect Modifiers

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by mineption, Dec 7, 2010.

1. mineption

mineption New Member

I would be happy to see any of these features added to the Effects of d20Pro:

Diced damage modifier: Adding 1d6 fire damage to all attacks, for example.
    Skill modifiers, each with their own modifier types: competence, enhancement, etc.
    Saving throw modifier types: resistance, luck, etc.
    Effect duration types: until end of turn, until next attack, until next hit, until user with effect is hit
    Multiple effects attached to one ability: they all use the same use/day and targets.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would agree.

One example that I deal with in each session so far is where a person uses Ray of Enfeeblement.
    Here's what I do currently to deal with Ray of Enfeeblement...

1. Have the character attack vs Touch.
    2. IF successful, use the core dice (1d6) to determine outcome.
    3. Roll a save to see if the creature passes or fails the save. Inform player of creature pass/fail status
    4. Player use "Spell" select "Ray of Enfeeblement (#)". (# applies to rolled outcome plus modifier)/(1=fail or 2=pass) Thus, failure = full effect, and pass = half effect.
    5. Update duration based on Character Level.
    6. Apply Effect.

How I would like it to be done...
    1. Player uses "Spell" selects "Ray of Enfeeblement" (rolled penalty to ability score, duration, and DC are saved and already preloaded based on user saved spell or auto calculation based on Ability and Character Level - d20Pro feature not yet implemented)
    2. d20Pro recognizes the spell requires a touch attack and prompts the player to select the creature they want to attack vs touch. (d20Pro feature not yet implemented)
    3. d20Pro recognizes the spell has a save, and rolls automatically (d20Pro currently does this part)
    4. d20Pro sends action to Judge for approval (d20Pro currently does this part)
    5. Judge applies effect.

Players would interface with d20Pro this way...
    1. press "S", pick "Ray of Enfeeblement", click checkmark
    2. click on selected target (like resolving an attack)

Judges would interface with d20Pro this way...
    1. Resolve attack
    2. Resolve spell effect (change if needed, or save manually and update pass/failure)
    3. Apply effect/result

To accomplish this...
    1. Add feature to allow a diced roll to effect in each tab: Attack, Ability, AC, and Save (just like adding diced rolls to the Hit Points tab - this would create endless possibilities in new spells and satisfy mineption's request also)
    2. Allow Durations and DCs to be saved with the spell effect OR place an option to allow an auto-calculation to determine duration and DC/Save/half-negate each independently (since type of save and half/negate are static.) I would opt for having them be saved with the spell effect as a feature offered in a sooner release than waiting a year for an auto-calculation release.
    3. Allow a function in the spell settings to call for a Touch Attack (melee or ranged)

The effect duration types: end of turn, next attack, next hit, user with effect is hit
    These effect duration types are common for an array of spells or abilities, and it would be nice to see features that support this type of duration.

Saving throw modifiers would be helpful, since we need to know if bonuses stack or overlap (pick highest).

In regards to multiple effects attached to one ability, I believe d20Pro already supports this. Is there a specific example where you are running into a restriction not allowing you to apply multiple effects?

3. Remaker

Remaker Member

Seconding this as hard as I can. A more robust magic system is #1 on my wish list right now.

In particular, I agree with this. While I think that we all want a dynamic system that can read the caster's level and ability scores and adjust the magnitude, duration, and DC accordingly, I would still be happy with a less flexible system that lets me pre-define these for specific casters.

4. neofax

neofax New Member

What happens if the NPC/PC has SR? Do you have that rolled as well? Why not have d20Pro roll all of this to include concentration before hand and then send to the judge? Also, what about conditions and such? When these are applied, does d20Pro take them into account? i.e. grappled, weakened...