1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

More visibility into modifiers for rolls

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by firebringer, May 18, 2011.

1. firebringer

firebringer Member

Greetings all,

I had started a thread on this in the General Questions section but, after thinking about it, I'm pretty sure what I would like to see is a new feature request and not a 'how can I do this?' type of problem.

My gaming group just started to use d20Pro...overall it appears to be a very robust VTT and we're all excited to get familiar with it. One item that we're wondering about is how to show more detail in the game log when multiple targets (PC or NPC) take AoE damage. Is it possible to show specific modifiers that were applied to achieve a final damage amount? For example, if two monsters are caught in a Burning Hands, the Game Log shows 'X cast Burning Hands on Y(takes 11), Z(takes 5)'. Can we show the actual saving throw rolls with modifiers that were used to achieve the damage of 11 on one guy and the damage of 5 on another?

Maybe something along the lines of a hover tool tip that, when the mouse is left over a saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result, shows a) the original dice roll, and b) all modifiers, by type (enhancement, deflection, feat, trait, racial, sacred, untyped, etc.) that were applied to the roll.

Alternatively, make the saving throw, attack roll, skill check or damage result clickable such that it would open a new small pop up window with the information listed above.

Being able to view this information allows the GM and players to feel confident that all valid modifiers are being applied to a given roll. Also, if a modifier wasn't applied, GMs and players would be able to see that and add it on the fly.

Thanks in advance for all replies,

Firebringer

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Seconded, and I think this should apply to every roll in the game. It can be a bit disconcerting to have a character take a lot of damage and have no proof that whatever bonuses he had were ever applied.

3. ogexam

ogexam Member

Issue that came to mind.

Should the full breakdowns be shown to only the Judge, to the creatures owner, or all players?

If you show it to all players, then when person X casts fireball on monsters A B and C they can see that C has a +4 resistance and +1 dodge to reflex. This may help clue players into stuff like "that creature has possibly unholy aura and haste up. Let's him him with a greater dispel" this is just by numbers the players would not see in pen and paper version. I know some DMs NOT want there players seeing stuff like that. There are some that do not want to show damage on creatures until they go down.

I will look at putting at least the dice they rolled in the text (which can be hidden already).

4. firebringer

firebringer Member

Ogexam,
    You brought up a great point. Speaking only for myself, I would use the following criteria:

GM: has the ability to see all details for all rolls for everyone and everything in the game. The GM can also grant visibility to specific players to see specific other pc/npc rolls.

Players: have the ability to see rolls for their character only. Possibly create functionality where all details for rolls made by creatures summoned or run by that player are visible to that player.

The core of it would be that GMs can see everything, while players can see the details behind their character's rolls only. Everything else after this would be nice-to-haves.

Others may feel differently but the above would work for our gaming group.

Thanks!

Firebringer

5. neofax

neofax New Member

I would much rather have the ability to switch the feature on and off during the roll. Some games I want to roll in the open and some I want to roll in secret. Organized Play is somewhere you would want as much information available to the player so everyone is sure there is no cheating going on. As far as metagaming, it will happen whether or not the rolls are in the open.
    @ogexam: You can check out how MapTools handles this using Lindsay's 3.5/Pathfinder Framework.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

If possible, I would like the players to see any modifiers that come from the PCs, but not the NPCs or monsters. That would be the default. I'd like me as the DM to be able to see all modifiers, and be able to show all modifiers to the players at will if I feel like it.

7. Truwen

Truwen Member

I would also like all modifiers visible to DM, but a setting to set modifiers per individual token/token owner. Jimmy casts fireball and sees his mods and if badboy monster saves, not the mods of the NPCS (that is DM viewable only). Option 2, Jimmy casts fireball and everyone can see the mods and if badboy monster saves or not.

I think for saves it could be a seperate toggle of whether monster saved or not. I guess an option to add to the above is. If Badboy monster casts charm person on character A, then either only character A and DM can see his saving rolls or all players can see the saves.

I often have one of my players casting Charm Monster or Charm Person and I often wonder "did that monster save? What were the numbers?" Eventhough D20pro is good at showing the little star, I would like to see the actual numbers to see if everything is being applied correctly.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

+1. I like this idea. And, I like how MapTools handles viewing the initiative order