1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Movement limits based on speed

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Nighteagle, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

I would like to request a feature that would limit a player to moving his/her character up to double the listed speed (which would be a double move). My players move all over the place without much regard to whether they are wearing armor, etc. This might firmly remind them that they have limitations to their speed, especially while carrying a heavy load, wearing medium or heavy armor, etc. As a bonus, it would be nice if there was an effect that could alter speed too (which would only be helpful if the speed stat had some use during movement).
    Nighteagle

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

If we put a move limiter, it would not be wise to say double movement right.

Moving in a straight line you can triple, quad if light encumbered, and quint if you have the run feat.

Difficult terrain will modify the distance to move as well. Can get pretty complex pretty quick limiting movement.

Here is an idea if you do not want your players move all over the place, just keep the in init and they can only move on their turn and if they move further then they should just move them back.

3. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

Yeah, I can see how complex that could get, I do often keep them in initiative, but if we aren't actually doing combat, they tend to get out of line :)

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Players can be difficult ...

The problem is, that while rules are required, we don't want to make the experience less fun.

It is, for example, extremely tedious to make characters travel in initiative order (although that does get rid of the problem that presents itself when more than one person moves at a time). Likewise, it is usually an annoyance to make characters take 5-step moves to backtrack their steps.

I normally handle things like this:

When moving a long distance (that the characters can see), I provide my group with the option that I will use the "Location/Map" (which works on the current map and doesn't require movement to a new map) feature to translocate them. They understand that they only have "passive perception" available to them. They are presumed to be moving in all available haste. In these situations, If they encounter something - I drop them at their new location and place them in their standard formation.

Or,

They nominate 1 person to be their "mover". Th mover moves (at their normal rate), and it is presumed that the others are traveling in their normal formation. At each movement, the other characters perform whatever actions they normally would. When the characters arrive at an obstacle (closed door, etc) I translocate the rest of the party. (This method must be used with care, as players can lose interest if they aren't actively involved).

Finally, if the need arises: Characters that pass through walls, or run off on their own, are at my mercy ... (Which often as not can be turned into something fun).

While I am not saying that this is the case (because heaven knows some people are just difficult). Some players start goofing off when they are bored. A previously unplanned trap or pack of wandering monsters (or annoying but powerful NPC in a public setting) can help bring the "wanderers" into the fold

5. Nighteagle

Nighteagle New Member

Hehe, yes, my players can be both difficult, and bored, and wander off, through walls, or any other obstacles, lol. Of course, the moment I tell one of them to walk around an obstacle (in last night's case, 3 wood cages and a meat hanging rack, lol), they get on my case about where the NPCs are moving, then on each other's cases, and you can see where this goes :)

My group also has no leader, no one willing to be leader, and no one listens to any one else. Our rogue halfling ran into a barn, without checking for traps (even though he was as the home of a suspected half-orc spy...), and when the cleric followed him, she triggered the trap door, they both fell 30 feet on spikes, and the rogue died. Yes, my characters definately do run off all the time. That same rogue in the last game session (after he was raised...), then wandered away from the group while they were approaching an orc encampment, and then blew his stealth roll. So, they are at my mercy, but, I don't think they ever learn :)

It's the concept of a new toy, they get bored, so they start making their character wander around, or sometimes, randomly keep rolling d20's with the core dice just to try and prove to me that the random number generator isn't really random (usually when I am trying to read the game log, which starts making the text keep scrolling away from me!).

6. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Sounds like a feature request ...

Please allow the DM to disable core dice, for players :p

It took my players 21 levels to finally play the way I think they should (which doesn't mean I am right, btw). I fully expect our future endeavours to be much more satisfactory. People started planning their actions to compliment the abilities of other party members, took responsibility for healing themselves (instead of blaiming the cleric when they die) and generally doing the right thing.

On a side note, I am fortunate to have all my players in the same room (so far) and whioe some of them have their own computer - 3 do not. Those 3 share a PC (with multiple mice) connected to a projector. All of us typically refer to their "big screen" when we want to see what is going on. I do happen to have one spare laptop, which I always connect to the game. If a character wanders off, I make them invisible and if necessary move them to a different map. If the character happens to be one of those sharing a PC, I transfer him to the laptop. As of late, most wandering has been by concensus and on purpose

7. Dan

Dan Member

While we take user feedback seriously, and we strive to make the software the best it can be, some things are just best handled the old fashioned way. That is, it sounds like this is a case of players being disruptive, we can't code a fix for that. If we turned off the dice, they would just do something else, like send tells or emotes or paste large passages of text... Likewise, movement is tricky: sometimes you want them to run down hill and gain movement, sometimes you have difficult terrain...

Think of d20pro as a digital game table - not as a game itself. It doesn't enforce rules and that's intentional. Your players could move their minis all over the map at the table, or could just roll dice all day - even knocking over minis - at the table. This is no different.

My suggestion is to give them a stern warning, then take your pick:
    • start blasting them with lightning bolts from "the gods" 1d6 damage per level with no save should do the trick.
    • take control of their creature from them after combat
    • find a picture of a baby and change their character portrait to reflect their maturity level, or rename their character to something equally embarrassing
    • Boot them from the game (click the X in the player list in chat)
    It won't take them long to get the point.

8. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Well there was supposed to be obvious sarcasm in my last post :)

You have stated what I implied. For some things, the DM just has to be creative.

9. Dan

Dan Member

My response was directed more to the Original Poster, and I was echoing yours, Thurgian. :)