1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Moving to new computer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AkosPrime, Dec 4, 2013.

1. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Hi,

I've already familiarized myself with the procedure for un-licensing/re-licensing my d20Pro judge copy on the new computer I will soon purchase.

However, I'd like to have all of my campaign files on the new computer too (maps, creatures, logs, etc.) Basically I don't want to lose anything from my judge copy where I run my campaign. Even all of the stuff in the log window I want to save (not related to this, but I also want to find a way to export that so I have soft copies of it for writing up campaign notes) where things "Beric moves 15'" are written.

Can someone provide me with a how-to on what to copy from where on the old system to the new system to ensure that I don't miss a beat when moving my d20Pro operations please?

Thanks!

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

It is as easy as Copy Paste. You can technically run D20PRO off of a thumb drive. I have just copied and pasted the entire file from one PC to another and run it with no issue, bypassing any installation. Run your installer, and just copy the Judge Folder over. Everything should be preserved. Keep a back up just in case there is some sort of issue. I back up/sync my game state to an external drive to be sure I am never at a loss of the data.

Good Luck!

3. AkosPrime

AkosPrime Member

Golkiwu

Thanks! Just to double-check we're talking about "C:\Program Files\MindGene\d20Pro\judge", right?

I like the idea of running off the thumb drive, or maybe even better running off my Dropbox directory, that way it's backed up "in the cloud" (ooooooooooooh) as well as multiple physical drives. Can you, or anyone else, think of a reason that wouldn't work? Maybe run slower or something?

Thanks again for the response!

Tony

4. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I would not use the Program Files Folder. Give it it's own c: folder on the new box. The Judge folder is correct though. You can also ala cart the campaign folder as well, but grab the whole judge folder to be sure.

I have never used Drop Box for running the game so I cannot say. I use Alwaysync to back up realtime. It is free for low data use, but well worth a purchase as well (I was apparently syncing too much data, HA!). Technically the DropBox is local and just synced to a cloud, so it should work, but I know my D20PRO folder is bigger than my Box limit (too many PNG images). If you have the GB for it, try it out and let us know how it works for you. I believe others on the forum may have used DB to sync just one of the folders, but I am unsure at best on that.

Regards

5. johson

johson New Member

However, I'd like to have all of my campaign files on the new computer too (maps, creatures, logs, etc.) Basically I don't want to lose anything from my judge copy where I run my campaign. Even all of the stuff in the log window I want to save (not related to this, but I also want to find a way to export that so I have soft copies of it for writing up campaign notes) where things "

6. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

An update to my methods. I now have d20pro installed in my google drive folder. I have been experimenting with it across multiple PCs, and as long as the sync ocurrs after I log off, it saves everything as is and comes up as I left it on the other PCs . I use Alwaysync to back up the file to a separate location on my network individually from each PC. This means that if I screw up something on one Pc, I have the most recent pre screw up version available to restore. I built an entire module (Fortress of the Stone Giants) in this manner with the only issue resulting from the connection I used once while out. On a reliable network, there were no issues at all.