1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

My Experience (Dungeon 136)

Discussion in 'D&D 3.X Edition' started by Vision9000, Jul 17, 2011.

1. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

<update>
    I've run all the custom graphic PNG's (maps, portraits, supporting artwork/images) through IrfanView and dramatically reduced the size of the files. I can still have entire levels loaded but the final bundled result (maps, creatures, etc.) loads significantly faster with practically negligible difference in image quality at "normal" resolutions.
    </update>

I wanted to share my positive experience so far.

1) d20Pro is easy to install and use (I program in Java). I greatly appreciate the authentication scheme (compared to other programs I purchased but will not name). I have a Judge license and several floating licenses. I tend to develop (set up d20Pro maps, creatures, etc.) on my Alienware rig and DM from my laptop. However, sometimes I do develop on my laptop. I've used the export function which is neat. But I also ZIP up the entire campaign and hand between installations. I also back them up, including the original "image" of the default campaign.

2) I really enjoy the ease of use for importing images from clipboard. I do this for maps, creatures, items, etc.

3) The technique of copying or deleting an original and then saving the same map/creature/etc. works well. I always keep the latest, greatest version. For instance, many creatures don't have their images associated, even though they are in the images folder. So I save the version with the image. Also, I've been fully loading the creatures, storing the full stat blocks in the Description tab, and the full descriptions of their Class Features, Skills (some), Feats, and Special Abilities in the Notes section. It helps to have all pertinent info all in one place at my fingertips, even though I've memorized most of these mechanics. I've also tweaked attack settings--giving piercing, slashing and bludgeoning damage for natural bite attacks, etc. I like the combo damage type effect. We need positive energy, negative energy, divine damage (Flame Strike), and some others.

After a few tries, I realize what bonuses should be added in an attack (to hit: masterwork, magical, feat based, etc.) and which should not (BAB, STR/DEX, etc.). Same for damage. The use of Touch setting, and the 1-hand, off hand and 2-hand for normal, half and 1.5 times damage multiplier is nifty.

4) I tend to put the special abilities of players and creatures in the Abilities tab, just for reference. I add notes on brackets like the current DC, effect, etc. If the ability is positive or negative (self), I use the effect portion (e.g. Divine Favor, Barbarian Rage [then fatigue], etc.). I'll look more into what I can do with it. So I've been adding some favorite spells as Abilities here.

Also, I've added some favorite spells as attacks (mostly for the damage rolls). For instance, I have a druid's Flame Strike set up with the description of the current save DC, notes that it's half fire, divine, etc. The damage for this one is 9d6 type fire no ability modifier.

A different one is the Flame Blade. I modify the damage modifier to be the current level of the druid (as the desc), damage type fire. It's Touch not versus AC. No damage bonus due to strength. He has a divine gift (answer from the gods) modified Produce Flame. It adds Wisdom to hit and damage, and I can do that with the ability modifier used for that attack. I put the STR to the initial misc bonus to hit. I make it touch, and...I have two attacks, one for touch and one for range when flinging the fire.

5) I scanned my dungeon 136 and grabbed the free supplement from Paizo with high quality graphics and handouts, and have been inputting the "Coming Storm (Temple of Celestial Winds)" module into d20Pro. I'm on version 4+ of my maps. The first didn't have a grid...the creatures don't appear with the correct sizes: whoops! The second had a grid. The third had a grid that aligned with the existing grid from the map (I learned I could move the map around under the grid--there is a lot of great info in the help manual). When I saw that the large creatures weren't fitting into the rooms from the module, I figure there was a scaling issue. I re-imported and made the outdoor 4x4 grid per map grid, and indoor 2x2 per map square. Things fit now...good to go. I also really like the feeling of vastness the multiple grid squares per original map square give for the outdoor and indoor settings.

I also realized that the larger the starting graphic, the better it scales after import. For the Paizo handout, I increased the PDF to 300% view and took a snapshot of the maps.

I've been using team colors, visibility, fog of war...all kinds of features. All of this work is worth it because it's ready to go with either of my two in-person gaming groups that I DM. I'm also considering doing all virtual DM'ing maybe through the Infrno site I visited.

One other noteworthy experience so far: there are Obah-blessed clay golems in the main entrance. I grabbed terra cotta warrior images and used Gimp to copy and past arms so they are the multi-armed versions described. Did the same for the "boss" Girallon Jiba. Easy to copy, modify and save the upgraded monsters for future purposes.

Conclusion
    This program rocks! I also acquired other tools at the same time when surveying Virtual Table Top (VTT) approaches at the request of my gaming group. They were bogging down with helping construct Dwarven Tiles settings, and remembering their attack capabilities (to hit, damage, effects, etc.). I've been using DM Genie to hold info, but it still takes time to translate what was happening on the table with which creature in DM Genie. Which was damaged? What were the current effects, etc.

I have the full version of Fantasy Grounds II (love the organized details) with extra licenses, Battlegrounds with extra licenses (love the graphics, lighting rules/effects, statuses, etc.), and others--and will continue to investigate their capabilities--but I was drawn immediately to d20Pro because I could bring up a map, drop creatures onto it, and start moving and attacking. I dropped some heroes and a minotaur or a demon, and had them go at it with me controlling everything. It was fantastic.

I wanted to share some of my experiences with the tool because it is ushering in a new era of gaming for me and the groups I DM. I've been playing for over 20 years, have several tens of gigabytes of purchased and free gaming materials (in addition to my shelves and shelves of gaming books, figurines, tiles, dressing, etc.), and am holding steady at D&D 3.5

***SPOILER ALERT***

Update: For kicks I'm attaching a screenshot of the temple interior with Fog of War, and invisible monsters scattered about--some are in the walls waiting to be placed! I have summoned creatures and spell effects (e.g. Spiritual Weapon) with counters sitting in the walls waiting for combat.There are team colors, etc. My group has postponed the next game for two weeks so I haven't actually tested the setup yet.

Attached Files:

2. Teh Bagder

Teh Bagder New Member

Groovy stuff.

Here's a little trick for you if you have Dropbox. Simply install d20Pro into the DropBox folder. That'll keep it synchronized between machines without having to hand off files between the machines or do any exporting.

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Holy cow! What a fantastic Idea. I am so going to do that!

Way to go Bagder!

4. Teh Bagder

Teh Bagder New Member

Heh. Even if you don't put the entire program into Dropbox, put the actual folders for campaign resources in it and use a symlink to link it. I'm on a Mac, so I just drop the entire program, which is encapsulated as a package, into the folder. When one file in the package changes, it's only that file that's updated in Dropbox, so I'm not syncing 600Mb every time that I make a change.

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

Wow, I never thought of that...

awesome idea.

6. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

Yes, great idea on the DropBox...saves me zipping half a GB!

7. ted11

ted11 New Member

Very useful tip, will have to try it out...

8. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

I use Sugarsync for this. It gives 5gb free and syncs my entire D20PRO across 2 PC's. Works great as I do most of my game creation on my Laptop and run games on my Desktop. I keep my Dropbox for Character files and other bits that do not fill up the space (only 2 gb free)

9. allenmarton

allenmarton New Member

nice posts,thanks for sharing