1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

my feature requests

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by randyd9090, Dec 24, 2013.

1. randyd9090

randyd9090 New Member

line of sight, dynamic lighting effects with the fog of war. (roll20 seems to rock at this)
    the ability to make any token or item visible or invisible to players. (such as secret doors, even rooms)
    3D dice. (because its cool)
    ability to import background music (ambient sounds, spell effect sounds, attack sounds, etc...)(should be a music player so you can play a sound on cue)
    Outbreak Undead ruleset (zombies, nuf said)

2. ChrisRevocateur

This is being worked on, and the developers say it's much harder than it looks to actually get it right. Roll20 doesn't have rules integration and everything else to worry about, and so can devote more of their resources to things like that.
    Already there. http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMDrawTools.php, http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMVisibility.php
    Really? This adds nothing to the gameplay experience except bling, and I'd rather they concentrate on creating an accurate and complete experience with creatures, abilities, maps, lighting, initiative, combat, etc before they even THINK of putting effort into useless bling.
    Have you noticed that there isn't voice chat, there isn't anything having to do with sound other than basic effects to let players know that something happened in the game. My suggestion would be to use ventrilo to pump in your background music and effects if you're gaming over the net, and if you're gaming with buddies at home, I suggest Scene Sound (http://scenesound.cyclobster.com/)
    The d20Pro folks aren't in the business of creating rules for the people that use their software. Heck, they aren't even in the business of providing rules sets for established games. They made the original d20 rules set, but Pathfinder and everything else has been community created. Want to see Outbreak Undead made into a rules set? Go ahead and make it.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Yeah, I think Chris pretty much nailed the answers there... thanks dooood ..
    Teamspeak or Ventrillo works wonderfully for gaming with d20p and allows for things d20p just could never do natively..

4. AEIOU

AEIOU Member

d20pro works really well at not only creating a tabletop map, but also in doing a lot of the rules parsing for combat. My combats are considerably more streamlined as a result. If you use something else to parse combats, then other tabletop programs with a different focus may work better.

Scenesound looks spiffy. I nice diversion while I wait for my RealmWorks database to be rebuilt. :)

As for how to create files for a setting, I notice that Cthuhlu d20 was recently posted. That's a good place to check out what needs to be done.

And I'm totally in agreement on avoiding the lure of bling. Add the 3d dice rolling and fancy graphics after the functionality is rock solid. Fog of war, image thumbnails for maps, tabs for creatures, spell/power system revisions.... There's a long list of things that actually improve the gameplay rather than just dress it up.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

thanks, my wife and I threw that together in minutes, so it should be "mostly" correct :)

6. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

I second dynamic Fog of War with lighting/enhanced sight radius for tokens. I know this can be a tough one and I would rather not have it if it sacrificed smooth functionality as it did with another VTT I used, but if it can be pulled off, I'd love to see that feature.

I would like to see an option to have object tokens that I can move like movable furniture and such. I don't need the art, just the ability to manipulate and insert art (like with creatures, but no frame or stats.) This would help me with making trap/secret door markers visible/invisible without covering the area they are in and moving objects or manipulating objects that aren't part of the map/background.

7. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

I would like to add that while I looked at Roll20 (and it is admittedly a cool VTT), it lacked very important features d20pro has that make my personal GM life easier. (I just don't have the time to program macros for everything and so much is already automated for me here.) That and I store A HUGE amount of artwork, maps, and tokens on my pc and I gather that may be an issue with the other VTT. So far, this has been the best one I've used. The above mentioned are some features I'd like to see, but the features I get only here far outweigh them.

8. ChrisRevocateur

Already there: http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMDrawTools.php (go to the bottom of the page and read about tiles)

9. KennethJordan

KennethJordan New Member

Very cool. Admittedly. This is the one area I haven't explored heavily yet as I make my own maps and import them. Will definitely have to explore what I can do there now. Thank you. I've been using this for many months now and I keep finding new cool stuff I can do. I was literally bursting with excitement when I found I could manually create classes, spells, and skills that showed up on the creatures. That was pretty Bad A**.

Excited for the new features to come as well.

Also, is there a way to write new items. One thing that would be cool is a slot equipping tab where you can make items with effects and then place them into slots (can you tell I'm a D&D 3.5 player). This may already be do-able currently?

10. ChrisRevocateur

A feature like this is supposed to be coming with 3.4, which apparently has been pushed back until GenCon.