1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New D20 Pro User

Discussion in 'D&D 4th Edition' started by RickDavisFL, Aug 24, 2009.

1. RickDavisFL

RickDavisFL New Member

Hey there!

After catching an amazing demo at Mini MegaCON I got the D20 Pro software. It totally blew me away. I think I can finally resurrect my game with my friends that are scattered around the country.

I am planning to play 4e, which is why I'm posting in this forum. Nick (who gave the demo) said there were a few people working on getting 4e into the software. I've just installed and I'm gathering all the info and help files, looking at the best way to import maps, NPCs, players etc. but I wanted to poke my head in the forums and say hello.

I'm sure it won't take long before I start flooding you with questions :)

I look forward to talking with everyone soon.

-Rick

2. Dan

Dan Member

Welcome Rick!

If you are just starting and want to jump into the 4E settings, check out our 4E survival guide on our Online Manual. The guide should get you started and has files for you to download and replace so that you get 4E feats, skills, etc.

http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d

Edit: Updated link to new Online Manual

3. RickDavisFL

RickDavisFL New Member

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the welcome. I think Nick said you were "the 4e guy" as far as D20 Pro was concerned.

I did look at the 4e survival guide and my initial problem was getting the files into the Mac OS X. I posted in several of the subforums concerning these issues as well as a few other questions I had.

Once I can get the 4e data loaded and really start to build the campaign I'll be able to get a better feel for the program.

Thanks again,
    -Rick

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hey Rick,

It is exciting to see you diving head first into the software. Team d20Pro is diving head first into getting our help page polished for v2.0 and continuing our quest to better serve the Mac community. Feel free to email me directly if you need anything, but I think you found your 4E match in Daniel. He is a d20Pro and 4E guru... :D

5. raethryn

raethryn New Member

The classes.txt has very little in it.

I'm glad I backed up my files before I started replacing files.

6. Dan

Dan Member

You are correct raethyn. d20pro, by design, is NOT a game and doesn't enforce rules. It's a virtual tabletop tool that lets you run your game as you see fit. The classes file only has BAB and spell lists / per day values. That's it. Feats are in a feats.txt file but you can specify your own in the software (feats tab). Skills simply record the name, category, and ability score that governs them.

This gives you a good deal of flexibility for house rules and other systems. You can set any value for any creature to whatever you want.

If you are looking for more automation, you should check out some of the fine character creation programs out there, like Hero Labs (3.5 systems) and WOTC's Character Builder (4.0). d20pro officially supports those file types and will seamlessly import your character files from those programs! Yep, if you import a WOTC 4E character from the builder file, d20pro correctly creates at-will, per-day, etc abilities (in your abilities tab), creates attacks for powers, and even sets your attributes, skills, feats, etc. All you would have to do is place those 4E text files (available on the wiki page above) into your d20pro\dm\res\manually specified folder and overwrite them.

7. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

So, Dan, that's precisely what I want to do, import characters / test from hero labs and / or character builder into d20 pro. I have copied the files from the wiki page. I am able to make 4th edition characterrs and creatures in d20 pro with no problem, but I have no idea how to import . . . it would sure save me a bunch of typing . . .

Guy Runkle

8. Dan

Dan Member

To import from the D&D Character Builder:
    • Open d20pro ad a Judge
    • Click on the d20pro start icon (top left) and choose Library
    • Click on the Creature Library icon
    • Click on the Import button
    • Browse to the location of your DDI character files
    • Double-click on the character you want to import
    • Your imported character will be in the Library under the module: WotC 4th Edition - it doesn't import images, but pretty much everything else.

Attached Files:

9. GuyPRunkle

GuyPRunkle New Member

Sweet! The pictures are no problem because importing a picture is a snap anyway.

One odd thing (no big deal) when I first import the character, they don't show up in the library. They're there when I close and reopen though. Is that a bug?

Guy

10. Dan

Dan Member

It is and is already fixed in version 2.0.3, soon to be released. Look for it within a couple of weeks. We are testing it now.