1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Setting for Light Sources

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Bloodwolf, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Ok I'll admit I may have missed this but if so then let me know.

I would like to have a setting for light sources that would show their illumination when they are within line of sight of a character but not show if they aren't. It would require a new setting for the characters which would be their line of sight distance. This would not illuminate the area but would allow for illumination to show if within line of sight. So basically if the characters are looking down a long hallway and a door is open with a light in the room the patch of hall that is lit up by the light in the room would show even if it is beyond their torch light but not show the room itself.

Hopefully I explained that good enough.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I suspect you could in fact already do that with a Public light, just change the opacity to completely obscure the map below the light. You would also need to set it inactive/passive until they were within LOS of the light as well...

3. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I'll give that a shot but I can see where it wouldn't work for some situations.

Where I have run into this is in re-working Temple of Elemental Evil for 3.5. Right now I'm just doing the Moathouse dungeon and in a really weird shaped room there is a hall filled with torches and a fire pit around a corner where the room jogs left. And then there are more torches. When the players enter the hall they should be able to see the torches and the light from the fire but they shouldn't be able to see around the corner. Using masking could help with not showing it but it would be static as they moved up the hall and opacity of the torches would block the hall and not around the corner where the last one is also shining. If you have a map of the dungeon it is area 33. I don't have internet for my laptop at the moment or I would send some screen shots.

4. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok in the bottom image you can see what the character would see if the whole area was lit, but the top image shows what would be visible if all the light sources that could be lighting the area are set to public. So the idea would be to be able to make the torches and the fire pit in the area set to show light like in the top image but for the character to only be able to see what they can see in the bottom image. If there were no lights then the character would only be able to see to the length of the light source they are carrying. Yes I created a 120' light source for the character to show what I'm talking about. Hopefully this helps demonstrate what I'm talking about.

5. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Another new setting for light sources would be to have it interact with different masks differently. So let's say one mask the light source could have a range of 30 feet but another mask right next to it would only have a 15 foot distance. The idea for this is from The Temple of Elemental Evil where on the path to the temple you can see normal distances but off the path you can only see 15 feet, unless an object is over 6 feet tall. There is no way to currently do this. This also could go with controlling the height of masks and walls.

6. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

I know I'm late to the conversation, but you could put a small (5-10ft) public light at the edge of the room in the hallway so the light illuminates the hallway and the entrance to the room. 5' radius would account for the limited light coming out of the room and give you the effect you were looking for.