1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

New Spell System Enhancements

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by ncassella, Feb 21, 2013.

1. ncassella

ncassella Member

I was thinking about new new spell enhanced system and I had some suggestions. Taking Curtis's suggestion I'm starting this thread.

So what would I like to see in the new system?
    All the OGL spell effects programmed into the system, that way at least all the basic class spell effects exist.
    Spell Damage effects and range based on level
    Automatically Calculate DC
    AOE templates assigned to the spells effects
    Editable graphics for AOE templates

Lets look at the fireball as an example.

Fireball
    Damage: 1d6 points of fire damage per caster level (maximum 10d6)
    Range: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level)
    Area: 20-ft.-radius spread
    Saving Throw: Reflex half
    Spell Resistance: Yes

My player is a wizard with a caster level of 6 so he should be dealing 6d6 and should be able to throw this sucker 640 ft creating a 20ft burst.

Currently in order for this to be done correctly i need to put the spell effect into the system, have my player manually increase the d6 to the right number, measure out the distance to the creature that's being targeted, and make sure that they can be hit. Then I need to put a template down, and confirm the attack.

This slows down what should be an intense, fast paced combat situation.

I propose, that spell effects and damage would be assigned to your character automatically based on the caster level of the character and the spells they are using. This data could be pulled from a table, much like the spells are pulled from a .txt file. When a character has a spell added to them, D20pro looks at the caster level and spell and pulls the associated spell effect from the bank along with calculating the DC the spell based on the caster level. Once the spell is case the effects are applied to the targets for the appropriate amount of rounds.

The AOE templates would be pulled form the same area as the status effects come from and the template would be automatically applied to the square that the character targets. The template icons/colors could be edited just like the death image and the status images are edited.

Lets talk about the benefits to the players and GM. First you take hours of prep time from the GM and you also allow them to concentrate on running the game more then running the system the program. AS for the players, you give them "glitz" so when the wizard casts Fireball, he clicks his spell, and the target, and then a fireball appears on the target in a 20 foot radius, because this happens quickly and they see a fireball vs. a red splotch, the get a better feeling of being there.

I'll see if I can get a mockup of what it would look like, but i'm sure you can all picture it.

kimco likes this.
  2. Entola

Entola Member

Yes, everything you just said.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The problem with this is the variability of such..

in your example, what if the same wizard has that fireball maxed via metamagic, extended or enlarged.. what if he is also of a class that give him additional caster levels a'la Dragonborn or the like.. then those table you purpose are useless..

while you idea is nice conceptually there are some holes to plug, the least of which is on the coding side as what you are speaking of is not nearly as easy to write in code as it is to express in ideal..

honestly one of the biggest things that would help is simply making it so a Template could be "attached" to a token. This would be very handy for spells, effects, light sources and auras.. I get very tired of moving them around every time a PC moves..

I really like the fluidity of the current spell system, my players have gotten very fast at dealing out their spells and the situational fluidity of the current system makes it very nice to use.

4. ncassella

ncassella Member

I agree that there are some holes in the idea, that's what I get for not knowing how to code.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Another excellent change would be the ability to have Ability/Effects add and remove Status icons..

6. Entola

Entola Member

If I could at least go in and change the spell effects and have it remember my changes would be enough for a start. Currently, I just create an ability with the effect and just use the spell book as a counter for spells per day. It would be nice if it was more functional. I understand that there are some huge hurdles to overcome, but the OP's idea would be the dream.

7. Lonewolf147

Lonewolf147 Member

This alone would be extremely helpful. Especially when dealing with multiple creatures being affected by multiple status (check out Color Spray!)