1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Non-square creatures OR bigger and non-square items

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Kizan, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I know that in 3.5e and Pathfinder there are no non-square creatures. However in d20Pro all items are one square. So if I have an object (in this case a 5x15 curtain) that put on map for the players to interact with it has to be a "creature". As a creature I can put a description on it and hide and unhide, but creatures only are only square.

So either I'd like to have either non-square creatures or bigger and non-square items.

Thanx,

Kizan

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I agree 100%. I made this same comment when I first started using d20pro half a year ago. I hope this feature makes it into the software soon.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

+1

I'm with everyone on this. Need to have the ability to define any size of creature that is not tied to being an exact square.

4. 7trokes

7trokes New Member

I also agree... It would be nice to be able to place a 5 x 10 horse token on the map.

5. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

6. djc664

djc664 Member

I think it's important for this suggestion is use case. In core Pathfinder, as you point out, you don't need non-square creatures. So we would be talking for it to handle custom uses / other systems, which should only occur if the design path is going to include those games where the rules allow for non-square creatures.

As-is, I would really like to be able to use PNGs with transparancy and have an option to remove the border from around the creature (perhaps three options in settings: Always border (what we have now), no border, & border on hover).

For non-creatures (like your curtain example) I use tiles, which can be made to be any size that is non-square. So furniture and the like are all tiles in my game. I literally have a library of furniture cut-outs in my tiles menu that I place on maps all the time. That said, they are far more challenging to work with than characters are (in terms of moving them correctly during the game), so improving the interface of those to match the ease of creatures would be nice.

7. Dragonmaster13

It would be nice to get your tiles for use. I am so busy with real life there never seems to be time to design any on my own.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Currently,
    You can use PNGs with transparency.
    You can have creatures without borders.

PNG with Transparency (for creatures and image tiles alike)
    [​IMG]

Edit Creature > Team > No Border
    [​IMG]

For 100 virtual points (shares the point value of points on "Who's Line is it Anyway")...
    What source is the map? And, what source is the creature from?

9. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

To an extent this is true, however, it's not a "true" no-border, as the border remains, you just can't see it and it tends to cut off parts of certain designs with the invisible border.

LordV

10. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

For Creatures:
    The image for the token crops/cuts the image in a fashion to not take the entire grid and either places a border around it or not. If you wish to make a full square or rectangle design import the image as a tile under Draw Tools > Manage Tiles.

For Manage Tiles:
    Tiles also support PNG transparency and does not crop/cut the image. This option you can create any size of rectangle for the image. Thus, using a Tile through the Manage Tiles tool, you are able to create a curtain of 5x15 and place it on the map. If you create two images (1-closed curtain, 2-open curtain) you can even overlap those two elements on the same place on the map and use the hide/show eye to toggle between the two curtain states.

11. LordValerius

LordValerius New Member

Why would you want to use a Tile for a creature? Wouldn't it lose it's properties as a creature token? Never tried this, so I am not sure.

And thanks but no thanks on the Manage Tiles thing...that is one of the most obtuse program native functions I've ever used...it's non-user friendly and frankly, anything that slows down my production of next weekend's game is not gonna work. I wish it did. And even when you can manage to get it working semi-well, the items you create, no matter what size you create them, are still bound by the same grid for placement. Blah.

LordV

12. mercury00

mercury00 New Member

What d20 games do creatures threaten non-square regions? I haven't played too many non-d20 games, and I thought most all d20 games used creature sizes, not dimensions, for conveying their threat range.

If you're talking about graphic aesthetics, I can't say I'm so invested in my character's appearance that the presence of a few pixels has ever bothered me, but I have pretty video games to fill that need I suppose.