1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Noobie needs lots of Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoeTrow72, Aug 10, 2016.

1. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

Ok, I am a kick starter backer and I truly like what I see with this product - However, it seems like it there is so much to set up just to get a simple map set up. I am trying to load a map and set up so 2 of my remote players can join in the game - its been a while since we all were able to play together.

We are playing Hackmaster 5th edition and I just need the maps with simple fog of war and the die roller - but it seems so hard just to set up a simple map. We tried last weekend and had several hours of frustration and still could not connect - however we did get hooked up Tuesday night for a short time.

I have watched most of the video tutorials and looked through the wiki pages but most of it is run through very fast - tutorials and very light on instruction - wiki.

Is there somewhere else I can get more instruction? Something I can download and follow step by step?

Thanks in advance!
    JoeTrow72

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Simple FOW still works and acts as it did in prior version.. just select Mask->Closed->Passive and draw in your masks... then during play you can just toggle Show/Hide as we all used to do...

If'd you like more detail helped I'd be happy to assist via a skype (for screen sharing) call to get you rolling...

JoeTrow72 likes this.
  3. Whirlingdervish

Joe do you have ports forwarded or universal plug an play active on your router? Are you using d20pro to build maps, pulling images from the net, pdf or building them in a mapping program and then exporting them for use in d20 pro. Are you trying to do all of this while running the game with people at the table?

4. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

Thanks that helped a lot - I have gotten the fog of war done and now am looking at getting some roster people set up.
    Thanks again - perhaps I may try and set up a session with you on Friday night or Saturday morning.

5. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

I have set up port forwarding - and it seems to work - one of my guys was able to log on yesterday but kept getting kicked off because of his network (he is in a hotel).

Actually I have been able to import some maps and was trying to use d20pro to draw a map - but that was no fun at all. I do own CC3 Pro and am fairly capable with the TurboCAB program - I have drawn several maps using those - but setting them up in D20Pro has been a chore.

I am not doing this while on line with a group - I have been working on this for several days just to get set up to host a session on line.
    We are playing Hackmaster so all I really need is the map and some tokens to represent the characters and creatures for movement and such.
    We ended up using Skype and my USB camera and was drawing on maps - but it was hard for our remote people to see what was going on.

Hopefully we can get this running this weekend and start using more often.

6. Whirlingdervish

Okay i was concerned more with the connectivity issue than with the FOW

7. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

OK - now I have tried to bring in some creatures (Kobolds) and character tokens - I have downloaded them and imported them from the marketplace but cannot find them to import them to the map. The icons I can see are from Stoneheart valley and when I click on them I get a player or character card but I cannot get the pics or tokens on the map. I am probably doing something stupid or missing something easy.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Did you try to drag the token from the library to the map?

9. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

Actually I did - however I could not get any of them to go into my roster - I changed the module name for all of them that i wanted in that module and was able to bring them in now - I am working through this - it is somewhat painful - but then I guess anything worth while takes a little bit of time or pain.

I cannot wait until you come out with a full set of tutorials and instruction booklet - I would be interested in getting much more involved but time is short with everything. Just like Realm Works - there is so much there just to get things set up - where to spend my time is difficult to decide.

10. Whirlingdervish

do you have time to do a team viewer session so i can see what you are doing ?

11. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

We'll be doing new documentation soon (probably from scratch), just waiting for the dust to settle a little so as not to doc incorrect information of features that are currently in flux.

12. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

Just finished up our first session - only had 1 small issue - everything else worked fairly well - although it was more user error more than anything else. Had a player try to log into my game from within our house (local connect) but for some reason not able to find my server - outside computers were able to log in and seemed to run fairly well.

Thank you everyone for the help.

13. Mickey

Mickey Member

I had a similar problem before I started using a crossover cable. I don't know if you tried this already but, if you go to 'Options', click on the 'GM tab and then click on 'IP Address', you'll see a public IP and a local IP. Try the public IP next time and see if that helps.

14. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

As far as homemade maps, I found that in the art program I use (GIMP) I set up the Grid for a set scale...10 pixels or 20 pixels. This makes it easy to import my finished map into d20pro because my images will conform to D20Pro importer grid scaling of 10 or 20. Saves a lot of headaches with lining everything up.

15. JoeTrow72

JoeTrow72 New Member

Thanks I think we will try the crossover cable next time - that should take care of the main issue.