1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

One license, multiple machines?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DanAmrich, Apr 15, 2010.

1. DanAmrich

DanAmrich New Member

I am a little confused and wanted to ask before buying. I use multiple machines, as I travel for work. That traveling is one reason I'm looking at d20pro to keep my existing game together. Sometimes I will have a Mac laptop with me, sometimes Windows. I know the Java client is therefore platform independent...but if I am only using one machine at a time, can I hop between Mac and PC with a Player license? Or is the license for one machine only?

I'm getting it either way -- I just want to know if I have that flexibility. If not, I'll be careful to install and register on the machine I think I am most likely to use most often. Thanks!

Dan

2. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hail and well met Dan,

You can download d20Pro onto any machine you would like. The download is free. You can also download your license onto these machines as well. We understand most people operate between 2 or more machines (as do we), so whether it is at work & home, desktop & laptop, or any other combo, we have you covered. Enter your user name and pw into any d20Pro Live window and you can pull your license in.

Best regards and happy gaming,

Nick

3. Dan

Dan Member

I'll also add that d20pro can run very well off a flash drive. :D

4. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Good call, and I really like it. This way I always have my Judge client with me if I need to open it for my character, I always can trade maps, creatures, etc with other users, etc. It is very convenient. :D

5. DanAmrich

DanAmrich New Member

That's great news, thanks! I would do the flash drive install but sometimes I'm using a Mac laptop, other times a PC desktop, so I don't think that would work for me (though now I'm intrigued to try it with Dropbox, which regularly saves my bacon). I'm happy to install in multiple places for the convenience of using the same license on whatever machine I have access to on game night. If you can't be with the machine you love, honey, love the machine you're with. :)

I wasn't sure what restrictions there were, or if there was a lockout for piracy reasons or something like that -- which would be entirely within your rights.

6. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hey DanAmrich,

We believe most people will do the "right thing." The ones that don't will just find some other way to accomplish their goal.

You would have to have 2 separate files on the flash drive for PC / Mac, but you would be able to have some things available, just an fyi. Dropbox is a cool and viable option too.

Best,

Nick