1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Organizing and keeping track of encounter rewards.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Truwen, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Truwen

Truwen Member

Hey, I am just curious. How do you guys keep track of your encounter rewards.

One of my players has been working up some excel sheets to randomly roll stuff and calculate the XP. But, as the DM I am having a difficult time organizing my loot.

So what do you guys suggest. We are fairly new to using D20pro so trying to learn all of the dirty little tricks and secrets yall have.

I have been essentially been putting rewards on one of the encounter mobs and referring to that. That is getting frustrating at times because the skulls can sometimes get in the way.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

When I am DM instead of trackign all the items with d20Pro items I only worry about those the PCs will keep.

The rest I track in an excel spreadsheet for party loot to be sold. It can be as simple as knowing the gear of X creature when sold is worth Y gold. So I can track that instead of all the items individually.

Though I would track magic items, campaign items, etc. individually.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

What if you created a creature, named it "Party Loot", placed it on the map, made it invisible (so players can't see it), place it somewhere on the map where players aren't going to explore (perhaps at one of the corners), then refer to it after the map is finished to give out rewards?

Or, if rewards are room based... You could have a creature with a room key number (invisible, with treasure found in the particular room in the notes field).

For party loot, I have my players edit the party treasure pool in a google spreadsheet document. Google documents are great, each player can load the same google document and work together simultaneously adding new lines of loot (I allow anyone with a direct link to that google document access to edit it, and only provided my players with links). For more information, check out http://docs.google.com/demo/?hl=en.

4. Truwen

Truwen Member

Very good! Both of you thank you so much for the suggestions. This is awesome. I am curious, if Is ave the document does everyone have to have a gmail account to view it? Can I use excel functions and stuff on the google spread sheat?

Any way this is awesome! Thank you. I will incorporate both suggestions. We do loot by rooms.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

With google documents, you can specify who can view and who can edit. For my group, I allow anyone to edit if they have the direct link (no google login required). Only the creator has to login to develop the spreadsheet and distribute it.