1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Painting tiles on top of map

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Daeruin, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I must be missing something really obvious. I could swear I've done this before, but it's not working.

I used Mange Tiles to paint the main map floor so it covers the whole canvas. Now I'm trying to place some other tiles on top of the map. I don't want to use Tile Painter because I need to be able to move and resize them. So I'm using Manage Tiles. But as soon as I select the Mange Tiles button, the main map floor turns yellow, and I can't paint any tiles on it. The only way I can paint any tiles using Manage Tiles is to make the main map floor smaller so I can paint on the empty canvas, then resize the main map back to full size again and finally move the tiles around as needed. Why can't I paint tiles on top of each other? Especially when one is the map floor?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Single click selects the active tile, to manage the tile.
    Ctrl+click places a new tile over an existing tile.

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Ah, just as obvious as I expected. Thanks.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Is there a way to hide tiles from the players without using Fog of War? Ideally I want the tiles to be visible to me but not the players. So I don't want to just plop other tiles on top of them, either.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, you can change the visibility state of tiles in a couple ways.
    Click the vision icon on the manage tiles window. You can also right-click on the tile to bring up the context menu and change the visibility state. Or, you can toggle visibility using the V keyboard shortcut while that tile is selected with manage tiles.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Yes, but that makes them invisible even to me unless I have Manage Tiles selected. I want to be able to see the tiles at all times. I guess I could place them as invisible creatures instead, but I don't like them cluttering up my roster. I've had like 50 inactive creatures in the roster on some maps. Not a big deal, it just bugs me. That's why I'm trying to figure out another way.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Have you considered using Markers? They are really useful now, and you can set them as invisible to players while still being visible to you. Just put the image you want to use in the markers zip file.

8. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I tried using Markers today. It did exactly what I wanted! The only problem is that the number images I have are apparently too small. Which is weird since they're actually 200 pixels square. But even choosing Large size in the Markers window, they are too tiny for me to see unless I'm zoomed in. Ideally I'd like them to be big enough so I can see them when I'm zoomed out far enough to see the whole map at onceā€”it's a pretty big map. Is the Marker function reducing my images to some standard size or something? Or can I just enlarge my images to make the markers larger?

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It re-sizes the image based on the size of the Marker, So if you chose Large, it will occupy the area of a 2x2 grid. You can increase the size up to Colossal (5x5). You can even place Markers on the outside of the map so it doesn't occupy space on the map.

If you are in the Game Tools > Map Markers window, you can double-click on any Map-Marker and it will highlight the Map Marker and will focus the Map Marker on the screen. It will even move the map for you so you can see the Map Marker.