1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Pathfinder might be top of the heap now.....

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by cyderak, Jan 20, 2011.

1. cyderak

cyderak Member

Several people i've talked to said that they've heard rumors that WOTC is slowly going under and Hasbro might sell with-in the next year or 2 because its not generating the revenue they were hoping for.
    Which leaves Pathfinder at the top of the heap.
    Who knows maybe someone will buy up the D&D property and rewind 200 years back before 4th edition got its grubby hands on it to fix the campaign world and put the tiefling and dragonborn back in the Monster Manual where they belong.

Is 5th edition on the horizon????...........

Will Hasbro Sell?????............

Will Bigfoot roll his D20 already or will Hitler and Elvis kick him out of the gaming group?!?!?!............

ONLY TIME WILL TELL...........................Spooky huh......

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

Don't kick bigfoot out, he always bring the Mtn Dew!!!

3. cyderak

cyderak Member

But Bigfoot always borrows everyones books......His answer for every encounter is RRAAAAAAAARRRRR!!!..........

He does do a mean impersonation of Chewbacca.........And then theres the whole bringing the Dew..........

He has his Pro's and Con's.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The main issue that Hasbro has with Wizards of the Coast is that their business model is rules based material publishing, this limits what they are publishing since they do not publish adventures. Since Wizards has a tight publishing timeline, they release a new book every month it makes it difficult for their customers to want to purchase every rule-book every month. The second challenge for Wizards is their production run to support a larger overhead. However, these issues are not new.

Hasbro has some good assets in Wizards so, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. When Hasbro releases their investor briefing in Feb we'll learn more.

Now the important question... where are the cheetos?

5. cyderak

cyderak Member

The Cheetos are right next to you........And before you ask, the mountain dew is in the fridge!!!

Now.....Galstaff, you enter the door to the north........

6. Dan

Dan Member

Woah, these are major claims. Any leads, links, or press?

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

When I read this post, I scavenged the web for any press... found none. Only thing I found was Hasbro's investor conference in February so unless there is a major news leak/break, I think we may have to wait to see if there is substance to these rumors then. My comments are based on Wizard's business model which are well known. However, other business models for other publishers have other challenges. So the challenges for any publisher in any business model are not new.

8. cyderak

cyderak Member

As far as I know there has been no actual news leaks to confirm this. I heard it from several hobby shop owners that at Gencon one of the Paizo guys and one of the WOTC reps were talking just because they used to work with each other at WOTC until the Paizo guy got let go and then hired with Paizo. I guess they still remain friends. Anyways, I guess they had gotten on the topic of how WOTC was doing. Thw WOTC rep said IF someone wanted to buy the WOTC property they could buy it for "So much money". I don't know what the amount was because the hobby shop owners i talked to didn't know. I don't know if it is rumor or true.

Besides that fact WOTC and Paizo were head to head in sales for a while last year. And Paizo did it with less titles than WOTC. Meaning that Paizo stayed neck and neck with the Titan known as WOTC with probably 1/3 the amount of titles. WOTC was keeping up with Paizo because of sheer number of titles. It'll be interesting to see what happens in 2011 now that WOTC announced that they cancelled 5 book titles and the D&D miniatures line this year. And with Paizo keeping a steady pace by releasing 3 or 4 core book titles and a bunch of support products like Paizo minis, Map Packs, Adeventures, etc.......

A little heads up, I am kind of biased twards Paizo's PATHFINDER so if it looks like i am leaning that way, its no coincidence. Although the the rumor is just that, a rumor, the other smaller facts are there and beggining to pile up.

9. ogexam

ogexam Member

10. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

11. merlin159

merlin159 New Member

im from victoria (south eastern state of australia) and we dont have any set drink we use as a gaming drink