1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

PC viewable descriptions tokens

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Kizan, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I was demoing d20pro to a few of my online gaming buddies last night. Using a PFS map Curtis made with all the cool frill that he adds. A good suggestion came out of the demo. The map uses a creature token to hold the room description and the picture "creature" is just a number.

This was done to make it easy to show and hide the room numbers to the players. I can give ownership of the token to each player in turns they can read the description or I can copy and paste the description to the announcements page and have it go into the game log.

Seems to me there should be a way to shortcut this process. Two ways I can think of. The fast way would be to allow all players to "own" the token. The second would be to use another token type that's used for descriptive purposes. This descriptive token type would be GM controlled so the GM can make is visible and invisible. However when visible the PCs can mouse over it and get the description of the token.

Another way to use it would be to have the GM leave it invisible and never have it be visible if they don't like the idea, but add something to the token that would auto-copy the description right into the game log. Sort of a speed announcement. This would speed up the GM from having to open the token and copy the text close the "creature" window, open the announcement window press paste button and close that window just to get the description in the game log.

Thanx,

Kizan

P.s. Hope that all made sense.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

If you want your players to see the room numbers's descriptions (or descriptions of any creature on the map), place the descriptions in the "Description" Tab. This will allow each player to double click on the room number and read the description in the "Story" tab in the Mini Window.

If you do not want your players to see the room numbers's descriptions, place the descriptions of the rooms in the "Notes" Tab (also make the room numbers invisible would be a good idea). I keep all my room numbers invisible and place everything in the Notes Tab in the Edit Creature Window. This is the box text I read to my players over Skype, and some info regarding what they may find in the room so I don't have to continuously go back to the PDF.

The second part of your request...
    Let's say you have a bad-guy who you has a mono-log.. it would be nice for those people who are not using a voice chat program the ability to quickly and easily enter in text that the creature will mono-log, then click on a button to make them "talk" the pre-arranged text. This could be called the "Narration" Tab, and have a similar setup like the "Ability" Tab, only the "Narration" Tab will have either "Announcement", "Say", "Do", "*emote*", or "YELL" as options and include a text box to input the associated text.

3. neofax

neofax New Member

Or you can just place a marker and put the description in. This is what I do and you do not need to give ownership to anyone.

4. Kizan

Kizan New Member

Can you easily hide and show the markers? Sometimes the numbers get distracting and being able to press V a few times to hide the token is nice.

Thanx,

Kizan

5. neofax

neofax New Member

I don't think you can, but I wouldn't be hiding them anyhow as I use them for room descriptions.

6. Kizan

Kizan New Member

Me too but I want to show and then hide the room description token.

Thanx,

Kizan