1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

PF Ruleset can not be applied as documented

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by unsaved, Jul 4, 2012.

1. unsaved

unsaved Member

The User Guide says to create a new Campaign and then apply the PF Ruleset to that. I have repeated that at least 6 times on Linux and on Windows 7 and though the files under .../judge/campaigns/CURRENT_CAMPAIGN get updated, the library browsers for maps, characters, character icons, and even the class list are empty. (In addition to the instructions, the successful import pop-up also incorrectly states that new items will appear in these locations after restarting the app).

What works is to apply the PF Ruleset to a 3.5 OGL-based Campaign. If the GM will ever want to create another empty OGL or PF Campaign in the future, he'll have to manually copy the virgin OGL directory branch, since the UI has no capability to copy one.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

By Creating a new Campaign, you are creating a new directory inside the campaigns directory - which is empty. By downloading and applying any ruleset in the Marketplace and importing them installs them inside the opened campaign. Note: this does exactly that, no creatures, maps, items, etc, will carry over from another campaign. Thus, you were able to successfully install the new ruleset, but had no assets in the new campaign directory other than the ruleset. The popup refers to the content you downloaded and is a general text description, perhaps a text revision is in order to fully explain what's going on is in order.

If you wish to replace a ruleset keeping your current assets, you can perform an action similar to what you have done. An old Pathfinder ruleset discussion; found here: http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=170#p4429. Perhaps a UI "Create new campaign from existing assets" would be helpful (though, this is a low-priority item).

3. unsaved

unsaved Member

Thanks Curtis. I understand now.

For the benefit of others, here is how I was misled by the User Guide and in-game text. The provided campaigns were labeled as OGL, so based on much reading in the Guide, I figured I should create a new PF campaign. http://d20pro.com/help/UGCPCampaign.php says how to create a new campaign. Though this page suggests customizing the text files under the campaign folder, it gave me no reason to think that after using the "full" installer, new campaigns would be devoid of resources. Then I followed the instructions at http://d20pro.com/help/UGPathfinder.php . The successful import popup text is dead wrong if you happen to have imported to a new campaign:

Every assertion in that quote is wrong. None of those things are available after restarting the app. Since the description in the in-game text is wrong for a common use case, it is very much not general description as intended and should be fixed.

Other doc suggestions:

• Understanding now that the UI may not reflect any changes even after the UI announces success of PF ruleset import, noobs need some way to check, especially if imported items will just be added to long existing lists. I saw another noob post where somebody asked about this. At least with the current versions, this check works for me: PF ruleset has succeeded and is usable if class "Witch" is listed and spell "Breath of Life" is listed.

Instead of the digressions explaining about the need to select all bundled files for the import, just say to click the Select All button and be done with it. (This is just in interest of economy and is of trivial importance)

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks for bringing this up. I appreciate your suggestions, and will update the help text in the User Guide accordingly. And I'll see how we can better tailor the pop-up after downloading content to be more meaningful and helpful for the content imported.