1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Playing a Witch / Setting Hex Abilities

Discussion in 'Pathfinder' started by Scott Evil, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Scott Evil

Scott Evil New Member

Hi,

I'm new to d20pro and was wondering if anyone had tips for setting Hexes for a Pathfinder Witch.

The biggest problem stems from how many variables they are.

For example: Evil Eye.

If the a creature is hit with an Evil Eye hex, it is affected whether or not they make a save.

save = 1 round duration, no save = INT mod +3 rounds durations.

Is it possible to set that up?

Multiple Evil Eyes can be stacked on the same target for different debuffs.

Also, when combined with the Cackle Hex, the duration of all Evil Eye hexes (and OTHER hexes) within 30ft of the witch are extended by a round.

The best I can figure is that I set the hex up as a no-save effect on a creature, and have my DM trust me to monitor the duration of each Evil Eye I place. He's got enough to deal with than to keep track of that mess on top of everything else. This leads me to have to try not metagame as I would have to know if the creature made its save or not.

Help?

2. Entola

Entola Member

I would set up two abilities, the normal one that has a save built in. Then a second one that does not allow for saving with a duration of 1 round. Alternatively, you could just have the regular one with a save and just use the "Spontaneous Ability" when they make the save, but that will take more time in game.

3. Dragonmaster13

When I have an ability with multiple effects I set it up under the ability in question and save the effect. I do the same with each variable of the ability so depending on which one is going to be used I just choose the effect and hit load. Your GM could set it up like that and just give the players the effects file so when they use the ability they can do the same thing.

Saves from having multiple instances of the same ability on the Abilities tab. Also makes it easier when imputing a new character when the abilities are all ready loaded.

I do the same with the spells, set them up as a effect on the Abilities tab, save the effect, then delete the ability. When the spell is cast the player just loads the effect, changes the duration and save if needed. Send it to the GM, he changes any variables (duration, ability damage, etc.) and oks it.

4. Scott Evil

Scott Evil New Member

Just to let everybody know what I ended up doing...

I made it so that Evil Eye is set up as separate abilities for each effect without any duration or save. When I use my ability, I have the DM roll a saving throw manually. I track all hexes that can be extended with a cackle on a paper in front of me, much like I would at a table.

When one of these hexes expire, I tell my GM and he simply turns it off.

It turns out it's not meta-gaming to know when a target makes a save against your spells, so it's safe to assume a Witch knows when a target makes their save and a hex doesn't "stick" properly.

Have fun, everybody!

Refrences for the knowing a creature makes its save rules:

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2pirx?Are-witches-aware-of-whether-the-misfortune#1

http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l8ee?Evil-Eye-Do-you-know-its-worked#1