1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Pointers on the map

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Montis, Jul 2, 2011.

1. Montis

Montis New Member

Coming from MapTools, I had the luxury of pressing spacebar and having a pointer pop up on that map location with the username on it. This is really useful for some situations and I'd really like to have that in d20Pro too.

Greetings,
    Montis

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, this would be a nice feature to add, though it would have to be another key assignment, the spacebar is used currently to indicate the end of one's turn in the combat mode.

What I currently do is place a template or paint a square a different color to draw attention to a specific point on the map. Another alternative is place a creature on the map who's image says "LOOK HERE" or an image of an arrow, then move that creature around the map to draw attention to specific points on the map.

[​IMG]

As a creature:

You can rotate the arrow in any direction. Simply place it on the map (after importing the creature, of course), select the creature and use the "[" or "]" buttons to rotate the arrow in any direction (45-degree angle increments).

Attached Files:

3. Kizan

Kizan New Member

I'm going to agree with Montis. I've used MapTools as well and myself. My players don't have a need for a permanent marker on the board. Some times it's nice to just point out something on the board. Usually we are speaking via Skype and only need a pointer to point something out just for a moment.

As for key mapping there are lots of keys left on the keyboard, pick something out that isn't already used or use a key combo if really needed. This argument isn't really a very strong argument.

Several other games use something like this. Multi-player Civ 4 comes to mind with it's Ping feature.

It's the figurative difference between using my finger to point at something quickly at a "live" game table and going and getting a 2 ft blue pointer and moving it around and off the table every time I want to point something out.

Having the pointers different colors with the players name as part of it would be great.

All things posted here are my opinion.

Kizan

4. Daggeth

Daggeth New Member

We did used have a "pointer" system similar to what you describe. It seemed to cause more problems than it helped though and feedback indicated that our current, more permanent system was what users wanted. We can certainly add this into our feature requests though to add in a more temporary option.

5. Kizan

Kizan New Member

OK, well I guess this is a request for a feature then. I never saw the old system so I can't compare or comment on it. All I know is that it would be a great feature to have and my players have asked about it.

Thanx,

Kizan

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Use of the "Marker" feature in d20Pro is the most similar to the feature requested.

Players can create a "marker" of any color on the screen and move it at-will on any intersecting grid corner.

You can experiment with it under: d20Pro Menu > Game Tools > Map Markers

Alternatively, you can draw focus on a particular map section by coloring it with something like a burst template (like for fireball - but in a different color). Each person can choose a color and place it on the map, however, only the Judge can authorize the addition or subtraction of each template. However, this is an effective means to draw the attention to a particular portion of the map.

Both the Marker and Template features can serve as drawing attention to a particular point of the map in the interim if you don't like the pointer as a creature option.

7. kridak

kridak New Member

I find the map markers to be very very small and sometimes hard to notice.

Is there a magic way of making them larger?

8. Zandari

Zandari New Member

Amen to this, I tried the map markers a few times, but quickly lost them once I zoomed out. They were so tiny that they were invisible.

9. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Same story here. Markers are often too small to be functional.

10. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I have to agree with the horde on this one.. I found the Markers well suited to the needs, but their small size and the inability to make them larger was a real deterrent to their usefulness.. They are so small that my players find it very dificult to see them even when they use the 'click' the marker in the list to get the screen to center and focus on the marker..

Markers need to be 'Size adjustable' to suite the maps they are being placed on.

It would also be nice if we could use our own marker images, but that is less critical...

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

It's obvious that since the amount inquiries submitted about this feature request that it's something that should be revised in a future version of d20Pro to make it more practical to use (more noticeable on the map - larger, and easier to use - key assignment).

And yes, in my own groups I have yet to use markers just because of these reasons. Most of my players will use templates to draw attention to a spot on the map, or use really descriptive words.