1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Portrait not visible

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Daeruin, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Last night when we were playing our game on d20pro, there were three tokens whose portraits were not visible to the players. On top of that, their red damage bars were not visible. All the other tokens in the game were working just fine, and this is the first time I've seen it happen. I noticed the portraits were PNG files (which I'm pretty sure I've used before), but I tried changing the portraits anyway just to see if it made a difference. No luck. The only other difference was that these three tokens had a purple team border, but I thought that was such a low probability of being the problem that I didn't bother trying to change it. Any ideas?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Daeruin,

Sorry for the long delay in responding to this post. There is really only two things why this would happen.
    1) the image was not fully transmitted to the player, and the player's computer thought it was. (file image corruption on the player's computer)
    or
    2) The RAM limit has been reached for displaying images (all data and pictures including map,characters,handouts, etc), and with a 512MB limit, that is reached upon about 100MB of image files.

It could be something totally different than those two scenarios I believe what is happening in this case, but to test, can you try:
    Have the player login using a different screenname/alias. When the maps and pictures of the creatures on the map appear, is the one you are looking for included?

Let me know if this works.

3. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

We are playing tonight, but I'm not sure we'll have time to troubleshoot the issue. We only have 2.5 hours of playing time, and hopefully that will finish off this particular encounter (it's a big one). I'll see if one of the guys can log on a little early and let you know if we figure anything out.

4. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

I just started up a separate instance of d20pro on my own machine and logged in as a player. It's appearing just as my players described. Those three tokens have the default gray figure for their portrait, and their red damage bars are missing. Does that suffice for your test? By the way, this was occurring for all five of my players, not just one. So corruption of the files seems unlikely, unless it's on my end, but they look fine to me when I log in as judge.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

OH!
    All players do not load the image...

AND, the image does not load for you when you login as player to your own session...

It would then appear that there may be an issue with the image itself. I've had a few of those myself. What I did to correct the issue is to open a graphic editing software (such as GIMP), select all, copy image, then create a new image from the clipboard, then save the new image using compression. After you save the new image as a different name, use that image file as the character portrait.

See if that solves the issue by trying to login to your own session.

6. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Hmmm, that didn't seem to work, either. I tried resaving the image with a new name, creating a new copy using copy/paste as you suggested, in both JPG and PNG formats, and also tried editing the token's portrait directly and creating a new portrait from the clipboard. Nothing worked.

Did I mention that the creature's name also appears as Unknown? Again, this occurs to all players, but not to me as the judge. Only for these three tokens.

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I guess something could be wrong with the creature itself. Mind either sending to me directly or if you want to post one here and I'll take a look at it.

8. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Make sure the creatures are not on a team with a purple border, there's two "Teams" with purple borders and one is an "unknown" team which will hide the HPs and portraits of your monsters from the players but not the Judge.

9. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

Oh, for Pete's sake. That was the problem, Tharck. I've never used that team border before and had no idea it would do that. I should have just changed it to be sure, but it seemed like such a ridiculous idea. Haha. Thanks!

10. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Your welcome buddy. I had a good idea of your problem when I read the subject title itself. I was laughing at Edward's (not in a mean way mind you)troubleshooting as I scrolled down.

11. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I guess more often than not, the simplistic solution is often the correct solution. Good catch tharck. :)

12. Tharck

Tharck New Member

Too smart for your own good Edward_CD! lol.