1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Possible Solution for Regenerating Monsters

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

As you know, I am a fan of not allowing players to see monster health (until the monster reaches a significant level of damage).

To accomodate this, I typically have monster health set to X/Y where X is 4 times larger than Y. This usually works very well.

Unfortunately, monsters that regenerate will not do so - until X drops below Y; and then they will only regenerate up to Y. (In reality, unless this has recently changed, the first regen will reduce X down to Y; but as this has been recognized as a bug, we will function on the premis that that feature bug is no longer present).

What i believe to be the elegant fix, si to add an addition checkboc next to "Regeneration" called "Temp" and code it so when the "Temp" box is checked, regeneration is allowed to apply temporary hit points (in effect allowing current health be greater than max health).

2. Dan

Dan Member

That breaks the general rules of the d20 engine though. The most elegant solution is to simply have a toggle in the Options window to show hp bars or not.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I could also live with a "Health doesn't show until the creature is bloodied" mechanism.

If you think of health in terms of energy/vitality - as opposed to life force - then bloodied can represent the point where a combatant actually caused a wound (which would be usually apparent to most obeservers); or bloodied represents the point where the creature begins to show fatigue (which would be apparent to observers that knew the signs of fatigue for the given creature).

Which is why I don't list monster health as 1000/1. At some point the combatant is going to recognize that their foe is badly wounded. I just don't think that "Joe Warrior" should be able to land a 50 point hit, and immediately recognize that he is dealing with a 250 HP monster ...

4. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Thurgian,

There is consensus that not all Judges prefer their Players to see the % HP of all Creatures. With GenCon next week though these good ideas will have to wait for v2.2.1 or possibly v2.3 (we'll be shooting for the former) with at least the ability to control whether the red alpha decoration will be rendered over the damaged creatures.

In the meantime this feature could be further discussed. I have an open question:

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I would think that the judge should see the damage bar. My only real concern, other than the regeneration bug, about the way I do it now (setting current health to > Max) is that I have to regularly check the mobs status to see if it is bloodied.

On that note, I do believe that "Damage is hidden until the creature is bloodied" is a workable solution; but I am amiable to any solution you might decide upon.