1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

potential buyer new player questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PenCapChew, Jul 21, 2011.

1. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

Hello. I recently downloaded the demo for d20pro to test a few things. I play 4e so I wanted to try to learn to DM via this program. I read the online guide and extracted the recommended txt files to my C:\Program Files\MindGene\d20Pro\judge\campaigns\D&D 3.5 OGL\res\ManuallySpecified folder. It was my understanding you could import a generated character from WotC character builder. I did so but I had to manually edit many things in the character sheet such as +to hit, , dmg, AC, Wis, Fort, Dex skills, etc. I tried testing out a mock combat against a single goblin warrior. My 1st level human fighter is supposed to have +7 to hit and +5 dmg on his 1d10 bastard sword. It shows those particular stats that I filled out in the creature library for my fighter. When testing out a combat against a goblin using just a simple basic attack, the combat stats in the "declare attacks" window shows my bastard sword having a +11 to hit and a +9 to dmg. Clearly this doesn't match what I inputed for my fighter. I am not sure why this is happening. My other question was in regards to the confirmation die roll. It's below the main attack roll. What does it mean or related to a combat?

2. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

d20pro automatically adds your STR in your to hit bonus. If you add STR into the attack entry, then STR will get added twice. I've made that mistake myself several times. You only add extra bonuses to the attack entry, such as for magic weapons. Same with damage and likely some of the other things you changed. However, I don't play 4e and have never used WotC char builder, so someone who has used them before may need to jump in and help out.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This is for game systems requiring a confirmation for critical hits. Obviously, in 4E you can ignore that second line.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

You do not need to modify the to hit and damage dice for str. There is a toggle to the right on the line that you set the to hit and damage modifiers.

That way you can have str to hit and int to damage for instance.

While modifying an attack if you press the preview button you will see what the system calculates the to hit and damage for the attack.

Where you see to hit and a modifier that is for additional things like the magic of the weapon. A +4 weapon you will put +4 to hit and +4 to the damage dice. There are also feats that add to the to hit and the damage modifier. You will apply those modifiers accordingly.

Does that help?

5. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

Thank you for all your help. I have a link of my fighter stats here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/68 ... ghter.jpg/ I basically took off the +4 to hit to make it only +3 to hit. Now the fighter is hitting with a +7 to hit bonus. I figured since I imported this PC from DDI character builder, all the appropiate +hit and +dmg would be automatically calculated. Ogexam, I am not sure where the toggle button or the preview button is located. One issue I am having is my goblin warrior is not hitting for max dmg in a critical hit. I have set his CRIT value to max for both of his attacks and neither one hits for max damage. I have done the same with my test PC and he hits for max damage. Are there tutorial videos or threads with pictures on how to make a sample monster entry for 4e? I haven't even tried a monster with complicated encounter or daily powers yet. I tried reading this thread for info: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=568 The poster describes how he does encounter powers.

"Ability
    -for encounter powers, add them as Daily (1/1) uses
    -for recharge powers, add them as Daily but 3/4/5/6 uses ( ex. a power recharges on 4/5/6, put daily 4/4) - so when a recharge power is used , it will show 1 lower then your full daily use , you know to reroll on his turn."

I just don't understand how to make a 4e monster with encounter/dailies and have the system keep track of it

6. ogexam

ogexam Member

Have you looked at the help wiki? http://help.mindgene.com/

Here are some specifics you may want to look at.
    http://help.mindgene.com/basics/creatures/character-sheet
    http://help.mindgene.com/libraries/creatures
    http://help.mindgene.com/libraries/creatures/attack-tab
    http://help.mindgene.com/libraries/creatures/ability-tab

The following part of the help deals with 4e so you will want to read over this section completely.
    http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other-rulesets/4e-d-d

there are links to youtube videos as well.

7. ogexam

ogexam Member

As for doing max damage. When you have the attack confirmation window open on the Judge click the crit button instead of the hit button. This will then perform a crit instead of regular damage.

8. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

Hello ogexam. I am aware of those sites and have been reading them. Here's a screenie of my goblin attack situation. http://imageshack.us/f/21/goblinattacknotcritting.jpg/
    The circled portion is the crit hit part which is not critting in regards to damage. In this particular situation I pretended the goblin hit anyway and clicked the crit button. If I attack with the PC and click the crit button he always does max damage.

9. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

This must be a character attack setup issue...

First, let's edit the Character's attack options.
    Click on the "CRIT" column that corresponds to each attack then select "Max" as shown below.
    (You will notice this mock Goblin uses their "DEX" modifier for attack, and "STR" modifier for damage - TYPE column)
    (You will also notice under the "TO HIT" column I selected +2, this is due reflect it's base attack bonus only because I didn't add levels in the General Tab - If you add the correct levels in the General Tab you don't need to modify the "TO HIT" column unless you have a magical weapon or feat that adds to the attack bonus)
    [​IMG]

Going through the attack process...
    You will notice that the system correctly identified the DEX bonus for the Attack bonus (+3) and the TO HIT bonus for the Attack bonus (+2), which equals (+5 attack).
    [​IMG]

Confirm the Attack as a Critical Hit.
    [​IMG]

Now the correct damage is applied
    MAX damage from 1d6+3 = 9
    (+1 from our Damage Field and +2 from our STR modifier)
    [​IMG]

10. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

Hello edwardcd. I tried following what you did and still came out with the same result, a non crit hit for the monster. I made sure I hit the red 20 (press if attack roll confirms a critical hit.) Here's are screenies of the process. Perhaps you can find something that is astray. The Monster is 4e from MM1. The goblin warrior is listed in the MM1 to have a +6 to hit, and a 1d8+2 for a melee spear attack.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

I forgot to show the end result on the combat log:

[​IMG]

12. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I see...

Attacks Tab
    Simply add a type of damage: slashing/piercing/etc (even though 4e may not use this game mechanic, it's required in d20Pro currently).

Let me know if this works. If it does not work, post this as a "bug" in "bug reports."

Thanks,

13. PenCapChew

PenCapChew New Member

You were right edwardcd. After entering the type of damage the crit rolls worked properly. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

14. chopkins779

chopkins779 New Member

Alright. So, yeah. I was having the same problem and this worked for me.

Two questions.

1) Will this be changed in the future?

2) This only works when I assign the type of damage to Bludgeon, Slashing, or Piercing. Why nothing else?

(Using Mac version)

15. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

All (perhaps most) other d20 games do not multiply elemental damage, even on critical hits. Specifically 3.X and Pathfinder do not multiply elemental damage thus 4e must use a workaround.

In the future more options will be available to customize more rules.