1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Potential Buyer

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jaiven, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Jaiven

Jaiven New Member

Hello,
    My friends and I decided we wanted to get back into D&D and are going to play online to make things easier for ourselves. So, I have been looking around at the faqs and forums here and I have a few questions before I buy. My questions are as follows:
    Can you connect via the internet to the judges game? I saw you can over a lan but haven't read anything about internet play.
    Can you create and customize your own maps within the client? (RPTools allows this)
    How easy is it to use the 4th edition rule set with this program?
    Also, do you recommend RPTools or D20Pro for gameflow, ease, and program-ability for a bunch of close rl friends to use online?
    Thank you for your time and any input you can provide!

2. neofax

neofax New Member

Yes, it is the same as a LAN.
    Yes, but I have never done this as for me it is easier to do it outside the program as this is not it's primary purpose and you will start to run into limitations at some point.
    I have never used the 4E portion, so I wouldn't know. However, based on the amount of 4E players here it would seem fairly easy.
    As for gameflow and programability I would say MapTools as d20Pro does not allow you to program anything. Gameflow it has a feature I wish MapTools had is judge approval of dice rolls. Some games you may want to hide rolls from players and just explain the effects.

Other than that, I say use the trial for a one-shot and use MapTools and as a group decide what is best for you. Both systems are very good and can handle many needs of your gaming group. As cream on top, it is just going to get better especially as the developers eat their own dog food so to speak.

3. Teh Bagder

Teh Bagder New Member

I currently use 4E and it works well. In fact, I'm running a game at d20ProCon tomorrow at 9am EST. If you want to check it out, install d20Pro and join in the game. Best way to see if it fits you is to use it.