1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Problem with stacked creatures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zandari, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Zandari

Zandari New Member

I sat down for my second learning session on d20Pro last night and ran into a question.

We had a flier who was hovering directly above a sorceror. When I wanted to target one or the other (I can't remember which) with a ranged attack, I couldn't "see" that icon to target it.

Is there a way to flip between stacked creatures? Similar to the send back/bring forward thing you can do with tiles during placement on the map? I ended up having to kick out of the spell, move the guy off the top of the stack, target the spell on the guy at the bottom, then move the other guy back. Surely there is a faster way?

Zandari

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The easy way to do this is open the "Roster" from the d20Pro Menu and double click on the character you want to find. It should center the map on the character and bring them to the front so you can select that specific character.

You could (as GM) move characters out of the way for a player to target the specified target, then put the moved character back where they belong once it's over.

3. Zandari

Zandari New Member

That first bit is handy, can I do that during the targeting phase?

The second bit is EXACTLY what I am trying to avoid.

I would much prefer if I could right click on the stack.

Z

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes. It will not attack the selected creature at first, it will only show you where they are on the map and bring them to the front. After using the roster to bring them to the front you can continue with your targeting phase of the attack or spell.

I initially agreed with this, however, when thinking how best to handle targeting when multiple creatures are on the same grid of the map due to grappling or elevation I believe the best way would to display all creatures on that grid space when your mouse hovers over that grid (mouseover). This way it would work universally and more intuitively for selecting creatures that occupy the same place on the grid.

Example of proposal:
    [​IMG]
    Note: this image is simulated.

5. Zandari

Zandari New Member

This is sort of how Maptools does it - double click on a stack and it pops them open like that. Making it a hover would be even better.

Z

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

7. Daeruin

Daeruin New Member

When clicking on the roster to bring a creature to the front, does it work for the judge only, or for players as well?

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, both Judge and Players can bring a creature to the front by clicking on a creature from the roster.

9. Dan

Dan Member

Google Earth does it that way too. Noted!

Oh, and you can target creatures straight from the Roster, btw - with attacks, spells, etc.