1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Question about licenses

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cursingmonk, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Cursingmonk

Cursingmonk New Member

I did a short search on the forums and did not see an answer so sorry if this is redundant. I am a prospective buyer of this program as it has a lot of positive review and seems to be very versatile for 4E. I play with a group of friends across the country and am the DM. They will typically all meet up at one location to play (having maybe 2-3 laptops at most on site) and I will be connected using this and skype.

Now since they all share a computer would it be possible (and easy) for them to take turns performing actions etc or would they each need to bring a pc and buy a player's license?

I am wondering with this setup if each computer can control 2 players or if they each have to buy a license?

Thanks for the input and the answer. I will look forward to trialing this program within a week.

2. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

You can assign ownership of any number of characters to any one computer. With a judges license you get 2 guest slots, so with introductory (trial) D20PRO installations, you can have 2 PC link to you. a third will require wither another slot purchased by you for your judges license, or they can purchase a players license of their own (on need per PC) I have 2 remote groups that play in my campaign. They both have their own Judges license, so therefore they each have a Players license as well (comes with the Judge License) which leaves me with 2 guest slots intact. One of them is a solo user on one PC, and the other is a group of 3 that share a PC. They just take turns at the mouse, and I assign their 3 characters to that one PC. If they had multiple other PC's, I could have them connect separately if they wished.

The software is quite versatile this way. There are many users who have invested in a Judges License and 6 extra player slots for a total of 8 slots that no one needs a license to play with him. But for 30 bucks Lifetime, I would suggest everyone buy a Judges license. It will also allow them to create and edit their own characters (only allowable in Judge mode) to send to you prior (or in) game time.

Hope that clarifies!

3. Cursingmonk

Cursingmonk New Member

thank you very much for the informative response, I have Dled the client and am beginning learn the ins and outs tonight.