1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Question about software

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jimmydatwin, Feb 18, 2016.

1. jimmydatwin

jimmydatwin New Member

Hi all, looking to start a group playing dnd 3.5 and contemplating grabbing some software to mimic a table top. Is it possible with D20Pro to run a game as the GM on a big screen tv and have 5 or 6 players all run through the gm (with fog of war enabled). Also does D20Pro support manual dice entry (we have a few members who insist on manual rolls). If this is possible, is it possible with a single gm license or do you need to purchase a "guest license" for each player character or is the guess license just for remote connections.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Yes, tho you would need a laptop of something to connect to the big screen as the client so the players would not see the GM screen.

yes, D20PRO has a Core DIce tab where you can roll dice. But more to the point, there is nothing stopping you from adjudicating the results from manual dice rolling.

If it is for putting on a BIG screen, No.. you could do it with the single Judge License.. Players would then only need to get a licence if they wish to connect to the session with their laptops while sitting around the gaming area. Of course you could always get that yourself by adding guest seats to your Judge Licence.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Some people have set it up:

1 Computer
    1 Big Screen

Just need 2 Displays:
    1 for GM to use to control Fog of War or any automation features
    1 for Players

The Computer will have D20PRO opened twice
    1 for the GM/Judge/Host (Display 1)
    1 for the Players to see on the Big Screen (Display 2) - This connects to IP 127.0.0.1

In this setup, only 1 GM/Judge License is needed.

Remember, only use D20PRO's automation features when it makes sense for your group's preferences. I've had groups only use it for placement of PC's and bad-guys on the battlemap and everything else was done normally. I've also run groups where everything was automated. And, I've seen everything in between.

In my personal opinion, I think just having D20PRO keep track of HP for all the bad-guys would be a perfect place to start. Then to apply damage, select the target either with a single left-click or multiple targets with a selection rectangle click-drag, then press the hotkey "D" (for damage) and enter the amount of HP damage for the single target or group of targets. Then to heal, use the hotkey "H" (for heal) and enter the amount of HP healed to the single target or group of targets. If you want to lean more on D20PRO, also keep track of Player's HP in the same way. If you want more automation, have D20PRO keep the initiative for you (you can have it auto-roll, or let it auto-roll then change the line-up based on your Player's physical roll). Though, I would stop there for automation if your entire group is at one location, as I think most people would want to still roll dice and keep track of their own attacks/hits/resources/consumables/etc.

Ualaa likes this.
  4. wickjohn

wickjohn New Member

Players would then only need to get a licence if they wish to connect to the session with their laptops while sitting around the gaming area. Of course you could always get that yourself by adding guest seats to your Judge Licence.