1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Techno-Deities - Switches

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by phloog, Sep 20, 2011.

1. phloog

phloog Member

We are some of those weird people who use D20Pro at the table...everyone has a laptop connected to my wireless network.

Note: I know almost ZERO about networks, so this question might seem moronically simple

My next game is Saturday, and I FEAR (but am not sure) that my router is acting up. If it happens to fail outright, I wonder;

If I have a 7 port switch, can we all just connect to the switch and have a wired network...would I be somehow given an IP address they could use? What would be the proper way (if possible) of doing a local wired network for d20pro?

Thanks,
    JT

2. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

Each system can connect with a proper straight-through CAT-5+ cable to the switch, and barring any switch config issues, each connection should light up.

Then, depending upon whether DHCP is provided via some device on this LAN, you may need additional configuration, since all will likely need to be on the same subnet in a LAN game setting.

With DHCP available and the systems configured to look for such, they'll get an IP address.

If there is no DHCP, then specify that each system has a fixed/alternate IP address in a non-routable range.

Example:

Host
    255.255.255.0 (mask)
    192.168.1.1 (gateway)
    xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (dns--use your ISP, OpenDNS or something)

Client 1

Etc.

Then when connecting to your hosted d20Pro game, the clients specify 192.168.1.100

Open your host system as needed if you're using a local/software firewall (e.g. port 10101)

3. phloog

phloog Member

Thanks for the help, but yick.

So with four players I'd need four crossovers (which I think I might have ONE from my old Xbox syslink days), and some kind of impromptu DHCP service.

I think Plan A is running D20Pro as we have done, and Plan B is Dwarven Forge.

JT

4. Kizan

Kizan New Member

You shouldn't need any cross-over cables if you are all connected to the switch. That's what the switch does! The only time you'd want a cross-over cable is if you where plugging one machine directly into another machine (i.e. no switch).

Running Windows 7 (and Vista I think, but not XP) the machines will eventually pick 169.254.X.X auto-config IP addresses for themselves. It's part of the ZeroConf (zero configuration) that the machine goes through at startup.

If you have a mix of machines (XP and Win7/Vista). Would need to manually configure the XP machines to have IP addresses in the same 169.254.X.X range. Best bet is to have the Win7/Vista machines come up and let them pick their IPs automatically. Then look at their settings in a Command Windows (DOS Box) using the IPCONFIG command. Use the same settings EXCEPT change the IP on the XP boxes. Just change the LAST octet (that is the last number) to one above or below the machine you are copying. Make sure to not steal someone else's IP!

With all Win7/Vista boxes it really should be plug them all into a switch and turn them on and let it figure themselves out.

You could make it easier buy purchasing a Linksys home router or something like that (or some other brand) and let it hand out the IP addresses auto-magically (via DHCP).

Kizan

5. phloog

phloog Member

The crossovers threw me, because with Xboxes I only needed them for TWO machines DIRECTLY connect, not with a switch, so thanks for confirming that.

I understand that the router is a good choice...that's what we're using now...this was the basis of the question - IF it goes poof the day of the game do we have an option, and it sounds like we do (since I have several old switches around the house)..though based on what you're saying, since the router is potentially flaky, maybe the answer is replace it NOW, or go buy a backup I could quickly swap in (use same SSID and security).

Thanks again, all.
    JT

6. Kizan

Kizan New Member

A backup is always a good option. I use my backup as a travel router for when I'm on the road.

Kizan