1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Question regarding use of multiple computers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rfountain, Oct 28, 2012.

1. rfountain

rfountain New Member

Hi

I am evaluating this software as well as Fantasy Grounds II in determining if its is worth migrating from Maptool.

I have a question regarding multiple computer use. Let me explain my set up and maybe you can let me know if D20pro would be able to feel that need. I have desktop PC and and a laptop. During the game I use the Desktop to log in as the client/player and is connected to a projector that reflects the image onto the table as a digital battle map. I use the laptop as the host/DM and I run the VTT with it. However in between games I use the desktop as the DM for game development and preparation.

My main question is can I log into both my desktop and laptop as a DM or does the license you sell bound to one computer/install of D20Pro. I currently have a trial version installed and I set up the trial account on my desktop and I can log in at my laptop but the start trial option is grayed out.

Thanks,

Robert Fountain

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hello Robert,

Thanks for evaluating d20Pro!

With a full license you can install it on your desktop and your laptop, simply login to d20Pro Live and choose download license on each computer you own. Another big difference with the Full License, is there is no waiting for the server to verify your trial license, so you can use your Full License without an internet connection (which is good so if your internet connection is down but your local area network is still working, d20Pro will still work)!

If you are going to be running and developing your games on multiple computers, it may be a good idea to install d20Pro on a USB/Thumb drive and open it on any computer you are using. This way you don't need to be exporting and importing new files from one computer to the next.

When you will be running your games, the best way to use your current setup is to open up the Judge on your Laptop using your Judge License and use your Desktop to connect as a Guest. Then what I would do is install d20Pro on both (to use when you are connecting as a Player), then install d20Pro on a USB/Thumb drive (and use that USB drive on the computer you are either developing the game for or when you are running the game for your players).

3. Entola

Entola Member

I moved from Maptool and have been loving D20Pro. D20Pro is just a more polished software. The learning curve is a little steep, but if you're moving from MapTools you are familiar with steep learning curves :D. If you have any questions feel free to ask, D20Pro and the community are very quick to respond and are very helpful.