1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Questions? Try the d20Pro Helpdesk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remaker, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Remaker

Remaker Member

Sorry to keep bombarding this board, but it looks like my group is part of the wave of first adopters, so there are still a million questions to be asked.

1) We're having trouble with spell effects. We'd like to create and save unique effects for each person's commonly used magic. The spell effect editor saves basic things like damage dice and such, but it always resets the saves and duration. This ends up being a lot of extra clicks. The special abilities tab lets you fully define and save effects. Is it possible to do this with spells as well?

I'm aware that you can simulate spells with special abilities, but I'd rather not do this, since it makes changing spell lists very cumbersome.

2) Filling out spell books for high level wizards is extremely time consuming. I noticed that you can use the shift and control keys to mass select spells, but you can't actually do anything with group selections. Am I missing something? The ability to mass add spells would help a lot.

3) Minor bug: When adding spells to a wizard's book you have to move the mouse between each double click. Try parking the mouse on the top spell on the list and start wildly clicking, and you'll see what I mean. This makes filling out books even harder.

4) Moderate Bug: Defining a very high speed for a creature creates an "unknown error" when you try to save. I'm not sure what the threshold is, but it definitely happens at speed 200. Many flying creatures have speeds in this neighborhood, so it isn't completely trivial.

5) The longest part of prepping an adventure is creating NPCs. I've been slowly building a library of generic NPCs, levels 1-20 for each class, following the gear and stat suggestions laid out in the DMG. When finished, this will greatly streamline adventure creation. Being a civic minded soul who likes this platform and wants to see it succeed, I would be happy to upload the finished list somewhere. The thing is, I don't know how to extract the specific files from my library.

Also, should I put items 4 and 5 in the bugs forum? I hate making multiple posts all over the boards.

EDIT: Oh bloody hell. Wrong forum. Sorry guys

****** Moderator ******
    Split this post to it's own topic and moved to more appropriate forum for better discussion

- Daggeth

2. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met Remaker

1) This is arguably d20Pro's biggest shortcoming at the moment. It sounds like you are already doing everything right given the current state of the software. We already have a major release due out this summer that will be a complete overhaul of the spell/effect system. So please be patient; the new goods will be here soon and managing / casting spells will be as easy as using attacks.

2-5) I just entered all these in our user story / defect tracking system. In addition to the major summer release, we are planning a minor release in March. Small improvements like this are going to be plentiful. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

5) The most effective way to share your content is to export your maps. Create a map and populate it with all the creatures you want to share. Then close and save the map. Next select the map in the Map Library and click the Export button. Choose a filename for the map (e.g. Remakers_NPC_Pack1.d20) and the map, all the creatures, and all associated graphic files are bundled into the file. Then anyone running d20Pro may click Import from the Map Library to open up that map (and all creatures) in their d20Pro. To save a copy of the creatures from the map to the Creature Library, select the creatures and do Location -> Save Creature.

Thanks for the positive feedback and let us know if there's anything we can do to help you play faster, play better, play anywhere.