1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Random 9-second connection loss... Patch soon?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by scienceboyroy, Jan 10, 2012.

1. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

I have a player who disconnects every 1-3 minutes (varies) for exactly 9 seconds (doesn't vary). He's connected remotely, but my wife (the only other player) is on my local network. Whenever he reconnects (nine seconds after each disconnect), it makes her screen blink as it broadcasts the game again; she's prone to migraines, so his connection issues tend to shorten our games even more than they normally would. His reconnection also makes the Game Log (or other) window lose focus while I'm typing, and I usually press several hotkeys by accident before I can stop myself. This window focus issue is also a problem whenever anybody moves, which is even more of a problem, but not necessarily related to the disconnection.

If anyone's trying to troubleshoot:
    He's on cable internet (wired) and we were on (wireless) DSL. However, we "upgraded" to cable over this past weekend, and I haven't yet had the time to call their customer support to get the inevitable connection problems fixed. Maybe the disconnections will stop when we have >512kbps upload rates, but I'd be surprised if that were really the issue. I would even blame the wireless connection, if not for the fact that my wife has never been disconnected.

I'm wondering if it's the same as the player disconnect/loading bug reported in this thread:
    That was November 21. Has any progress been made? I'm guessing the holidays cut into development a bit, but are we getting close yet?

And can you tell me if either of my issues (the disconnections or the cursor ADHD) will be fixed by the patch?

Basically, how long until my game becomes playable?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The first part:
    d20Pro refreshing maps and images when each player disconnect/reconnects is being addressed in the upcoming release as thraxxis describes.

The second part:
    Focus change on player's movement... looking into this.

3. scienceboyroy

scienceboyroy New Member

Awesome. Thanks!

4. Leathermartini

Leathermartini New Member

I just want to second this, as I have this problem a lot. It happens when I'm typing in the chat log or other window as the GM and a player ends their turn. The window drops focus and if I'm not fast enough, I mash a bunch of hot keys, usually including space bar at least once, ending several more turns.

Edit: And then I remembered to look at the date of the thread. Sorry for the thread necromancy. I am still having this issue, though.

5. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, it is all about focus, even my group suffers from this. So, it is on the list.