1. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Reduce map size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Robotguy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

I have a few issues with some of my players not having enough memory on their system to reliably run the maps I put in my campaign. I'm only blaming myself (I put in 4500x3136 pixel maps and populated them before I knew it would cause problems), but my question is this:

Is there a way to reduce file size of my maps AFTER I have already gone through and drawn in FoW, added markers for room descriptions, and populated the map with monsters and NPCs? I'm guessing that if I surreptitiously modify the jpg in the campaign folder and resample it with lower resolution, it would screw things up.

I just really hate to have to start over and lose all the hours I put in preparing.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

yes, it will throw off the layers... Tho, it still might be easier to just go back and adjust positioning and stuff rather than starting from scratch...

3. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

Would it be possible to find the jpg, open it in Photoshop, then save it with a reduced quality setting while keeping the pixel count the same? That seems like it would gain me a bit of reduction, but would it mess up d20Pro?

Edit:
    I tried deleting the "MapFloor" layer in drawing tools and replacing it with a version that was the same pixel size but reduced quality and I couldn't manage to get the grids lined up. All of the tweaking I had done when I created the map wasn't possible through this method.

Also, I think my main problem is that I was a dufus and told D20Pro to save my maps as a PNG, which makes them ginormous.