1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

[Resolved] Map Tiles vs Walls/doors

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by flames0042, Feb 19, 2010.

1. flames0042

flames0042 New Member

I created a custom map and found some great tiles to represent a dungeon floor and a few other things. The first thing I did was outline the dungeon with walls and doors. Then I put down all the tiles. Since I didn't want the unused tiles to be white for the players, because its so bright, I painted all the unused tiles black.

The problem I am having is that none of the players can see any of the doors/walls I put in. All they see are the dungeon tiles and the black tiles. My best guess is that the tiles are covering the walls/doors.

If this is the case I would think it is a bug. There is no option I could find to determine if something should be drawn over or under something else. It would seem like a good idea to have drawn in walls/doors to show over any tile that is painted onto the map. At least the option would be good. How can I accomplish this? As of now I cannot have the players on a map with tiles and walls. This makes me sad.

2. Dan

Dan Member

Re: Map Tiles vs Walls/doors

The walls are drawn over tiles and painted sections. The problem is that you are looking at Black on Black. The solution is to use the Fog of War to block out the areas you don't want them to see.

Draw your tiles and dungeon, place your walls and doors, then use Fog of war to cover areas.

3. flames0042

flames0042 New Member

Nope. I played around with different tile colors. The walls are black but the doors are white outlines. I put a basic green tile paint down as well as several others. I load up a player client and load into my own game to see it. No matter the color the doors/walls I have made don't seem to show up. I am going to create a brand new map and just load up walls/doors step by step to see when they vanish for me.

4. flames0042

flames0042 New Member

Here is what has happened on my test. I went in and deleted every wall and door from the map. I then started putting them back in. The first dozen or so worked fine. I would load them in, refresh them for the player, and they would show up. After that, it just stopped. I would paint them in, refresh, and nothing on the player side. I am playing another game in the background and I think the alt-tabbing might be screwing it up. Not sure.

5. Dan

Dan Member

Flames, could you post some screenshots of what is going on? We are trying to replicate the issues on our end. If you need a good screenshot program, get Screenhunter Free.

Once you install it, you can set the type of file to capture to (JPG) and location. Then just hit F6, drag out the area you want to capture, and it saves a file for you. Then upload that screenshot to this thread using the Attachment tab below your posting box.

http://wisdom-soft.com/downloads/setupscreenhunterfree.exe

6. Dan

Dan Member

Ok, I think I might have an idea but I won't be sure until I can see some screenshots from your end. It seems that we have a bug that prevents a wall segment from displaying for players unless the entire wall segment is out of the fog of war.

For example, if you create a room with a long wall that extends past the room (and possibly into the hallway) then that wall will not show up if the room is revealed but the hall is not. See examples below. The solution until this is fixed, is to use shorter wall segments an basically break them up into segments that you will reveal one at a time. Perhaps make a separate segment for each room wall (instead of sharing a wall segment with different areas). In short, build each room you wish to reveal individually.

There is also a known bug that the Fog of War is white on newly created maps (as seen in the screenshot) - it will be reverted to black in our next release. Let me know if this addresses your issue.

Attached Files:

7. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met flames0042,

Much thanks for flagging both the white FoW issue and when walls/doors would be incorrectly excluded. Good news: these bugs have both been quashed and these fixes will be available in the soon to be unveiled v2.1 (expected release in mid to late March). Your willingness to learn the d20Pro software and then having the patience to submit a cogent change request is a huge help and much appreciated in our quest to build the better mouse trap. :D

8. Dan

Dan Member

I'm moving this to the troubleshooting & support section. General Questions is more about what d20pro is and how it works.