1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Running on windows 7

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tpkurilla, Nov 23, 2013.

1. tpkurilla

tpkurilla New Member

I recently upgraded my system to Windows 7 from XP.

When I re-installed d20Pro, it didn't seem to install the way it did under XP. e.g., no icon placed on my desktop.

If I double-click on the d20Pro.exe in the c:\Program File (x86)\Mindgene\d20Pro directory, it says it cannot find the Java Virtual Machine.

If I double-click on the d20Pro.bat it complains that the computer is preventing writing to the disk, and I should run as Administrator.

I've set the properties on d20Pro.exe to run as administrator, but it apparently isn't working.

If I run cmd.exe as administrator, and navigate to the d20Pro directory, I can run d20Pro.bat, and it appears to work.

This is very cumbersome. I just want to double-click and run d20Pro. What needs to happen in order for me to do this?

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Looks like we are running into the joys of UAC.

Please install d20Pro in a non-"Program Files" directory. Such as C:\d20Pro

The second issue you are having is with your computer recognizing Java, there is a way to troubleshoot this, however since the BAT file works and you want the most time effective solution, lets do the following:

Install d20Pro in directory "C:\d20Pro"
    Right-click on the d20Pro.bat file then select "Send to: Desktop (create shortcut)"

Then you can now open d20Pro from a desktop icon :)

Optional:
    Change shortcut name to just "d20Pro"
    Change Icon from default Windows BAT file icon to d20Pro's icon
    - Properties
    - Shortcut Tab
    - Change Icon... button
    - Browse button
    - Navigate to d20Pro.exe, select Open, click on icon then OK out of the Change Icon Window.
    - OK out of Properties Window

3. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

Or just turn off the UAC. If you have half a brain, you do not need it. :D

4. ChrisRevocateur

Until you happen to open just the wrong attachment, or visit the wrong website using Internet Explorer (you'd be surprised how many people still use this browser, even with Chrome and Firefox right in front of them) with ActiveX controls or some other scripting embedded that allows access to the system (like old Java security issues).

Unless a person is known as a skilled computer user, I never suggest turning of UAC.

5. Golkiwu

Golkiwu Member

That is why I qualified the statement with the requirement of half a brain. Your statement is sound though.

6. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

the problem with it, like with eula's .. is that people just get numb to it and hit ok.. so, it really is kinda pointless.. With UAC off, it's like driving around town.. as long as you are aware of where you are at and stick to good neighborhoods, you'll be alright..