1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Shadow Casting - Map remain visible?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pjrichert, Jul 9, 2016.

1. pjrichert

pjrichert New Member

When using shadowcasting is there any way to make portions of the map which have been revealed through PC travels to remain visible in a greyed out status, or will they go back to being "blacked out" once a light source is passed? I'd like for the PCs to still be able to view map elements that the party has already discovered, but only have "active" areas under the lights to be bright. SYNCRPG has this type of feature, and I find it very useful.

2. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Not currently but that has been suggested before. So hopefully they are working on it.

The only way to kind of do that is through lights and making them visible when the party has passed by. But this isn't exactly accurate for what you're looking for and you would have to create several lights.

3. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

The way to do this is; once the area is set to revealed and the PCs have explored it and you wish it to remain clear and no longer use shadow-casting is to toggle the region mask to Passive from Interactive..

Attached Files:

4. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Lights are still an extremely resource intensive task, I'd highly suggest keeping lights down to only those required for the scene.. I'd even go so far as to suggest perhaps removing lights that are not actively effecting play at the time, depending on your computer specs..

5. Tay-Dor

Tay-Dor Active Member

Awesome. Been trying to figure out how to do that too.

6. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

I know they are a resource hog. And if you had the beta and went to 3.6.6 any preexisting lights are potential crashers. I ran into that during play last night. So starting tomorrow I will go back through all my maps and rework all my lights. And I reduced all my party lights down to 1.

Quick question, do inactive lights still attempt to render in the background?

7. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

As far as I know yes, but I can get a hard answer in our team meeting on Monday.

8. Bloodwolf

Bloodwolf Member

Got you. So if not in active use or soon to be in active use it is best to delete them. Thanks.

P. S. That is one great reason for a light library. :D

9. owlbear

owlbear Administrator
    Staff Member

Lights. The Light system is a lot more resilient than before. Depending on map size, you should be able to host a lot more lights per map simultaneously.

Rather than deleting the lights, you can disable them. It's the first icon in the light panel list. Clicking that removed the light from any processing passes other than to check if it's enabled.

Another thing you can do is create a light "map". Basically a map with a few common light configurations on it. Then when you need a light, just duplicate it on that map and attached it to an creature or item.

We are working on adding a light library -- but it's low priority to the rules engine at this point.

Bloodwolf likes this.