1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Shadowcasting Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jeffpalmer1976, Apr 22, 2016.

1. jeffpalmer1976

jeffpalmer1976 New Member

So, I'm enjoying playing with the Shadowcasting beta, but am struggling with adding them to my maps. So can anyone help me understand the functional differences between walls, edges, and doors, when you're drawing them on? I'm using backup maps from my Rappan Athuk campaign that we designed by Frog God Games (so that means they all already have well drawn fog-of-war masked areas).

One issue I had was that it took me a minute to realize that the areas are drawn as polygons rather than lines, so that when your tracing an area it will connect your first and last knot, which if you aren't careful means you have a line in the middle of the map you just traced for 15 minutes (damn!)).

So, off to try with edges this time, as it seems like walls just black all line of sight... Again, if anybody has a tutorial/walkthrough on the best way to apply the shadowcasting to big arse maps, I'd owe you one!

(edit 15 minutes later... )
    OK, so I outlined my whole map with an edge, but the edge is the wrong direction! So if I'm outside my dungeon looking in the light stops at the edge, but if I'm inside my dungeon, the light shines outward into the outside space! See the attachment- I want those edges reversed!!!

Jeff...

Attached Files:

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

3. jeffpalmer1976

jeffpalmer1976 New Member

Thanks, I had only seen the feature review videos, so I'll hit the other videos, thanks for directing me there!
    Jeff...