1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Shortcuts for selecting/resolving Attacks/Damage

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Ken L, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Ken L

Ken L Member

I really like the attack automation, especially when I have a bunch of mooks to send at my players.

One thing when running large combats that has come up during testing is the ability to quickly choose and resolve attacks for my mooks.

For example, I have bowmen and linesmen attacking the party. The bowmen have a secondary dagger attack as well as their CMB, and a similar arrangement can be said for the linesman but spread across melee weapons.

Now if I'm sending 10 or so fodder at them with the main opponent taking pot shots, ideally I'd like to resolve their physical attacks quickly.

There's the last attack shortcut, but that relies on there being an initial attack beforehand.

What i'd suggest is adding keyboard shortcuts for:

1. Choosing an attack (perhaps number key ie: 1-> first attack, 2-> second attack etc.. over 9 it could be shift+1 or perhaps none as over 9 attacks is rare).

2, Resolving an attack (Hit,Miss,Crit not confirmed, Crit confirmed)

3. Resolve Damage

Where for multiple resolves, the shortcut would correspond to the top visible action item.

As a GM, I could press space to cycle through my mooks and then with a few quick keystrokes, breeze through their attack resolutions. This brings up another issue of assigning shortcuts as they are all hard-baked, but this entire feature I'd wager is more likely to be implemented in Mage Hand if at all.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

So like...

Player or GM Side
    On the map, single click on a creature.
    Press the corresponding attack (1, 2, 3, etc)
    Select the target and submit.

GM Side Only
    <sees the "Resolve Attack" in the Actions Window for each attack submitted>
    Presses the corresponding shortcut for: Miss, Hit, Hit No Crit, Hit Yes Crit (such as 1, 2, 3, or 4)
    If 1 is selected, which is a Miss, no other Resolutions need to appear in the Action Window.
    If 2, 3, or 4 is selected, then an additional Resolution is requested for Resolve Damage appears in the Action Window.
    Then presses "Return" to apply damage to each open Resolve Damage action inside the Action Window.

User Assignable Hot Keys
    User Assignable Hot Keys, it may be a possibility. Previously we did make it user editable for Game Log colors and subscriptions since v3.0 found in gamelogcolors.txt and gamelogsubscriptions.dat via ./judge/pref/ and ./player/pref/.

3. Ken L

Ken L Member

That's a pretty accurate summation.

The attacks I'd wager could bind to the number keys when the window is active. The hit/miss/crit-miss/crit I believe need to be bound to another set of keys as if both windows are present, it would do something wonky or choose the window with the last focus which would have unforeseen consequences for the GM.

For multiple resolutions (the tabs in the window itself), there's one behavior that in my opinion could be reversed. When multiple attack/damage resolutions arrive, the most recent is displayed first as the focus moves to the new tab. It might just be me, but I like to resolve attacks in FIFO order rather than FILO. It also aids if special abilities only work on the first or last attacks so pending on the order I resolve them, my players may get confused (was that the first or second attack?).