1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Simple question- Buy now or wait?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DarKPenguiN, Jul 4, 2014.

1. DarKPenguiN

DarKPenguiN New Member

So, I am finally going to break down and go the VTT route. after three days or trying systems I have pretty well settled on D20Pro for a variety of reasons.

...However, upon reading the forums I see there is new and updated system on the horizon.

Am I better to wait and buy the new system or will it be offered in an 'upgrade' type format? Will assets I purchase here (or create) be compatible with the new system.

This is reminding me of the mid 1990s when I wasnt sure if I should buy a dreamcast or wait for the PS1- I bought a dreamcast and we all know how that worked out (and I still ended up having to buy a PS 1 in the long run)

The thing is- I am in no time crunch. I am more wanting to have everything up and running by winter (for sure) and sooner would be nicer but not if I end up missing out on a better and more functional product in the long run.

-Thoughts?

EDIT- Well, after a good day of playing around with this program I hit a very bad snag...The "Fog of war..." and unless I can figure it out really quickly its going to (sadly) be a dealbreaker...

I hate to bring up comparisons to other virtual tabletops Ive tried but I cannot help it- Even with Fantasy Grounds 2 the Fog of war makes total sense and took literally 2 seconds to figure out how to work it. Hours later after trying to figure out what im doing, looking at gif image tutorials which are short and make little sense- I have colors and shapes all over my map which make no sense and angles and squares chopping everything up... Why cant I just do like I can on every other tabletop program and have an overlay that makes sense (like a gray overlay with transparency)where I uncover the areas as my players explore them? That would take seconds to set up and not slow down playtime.

Instead I am lost in angles and shapes and colors (green, blue or no color?) which has taken hours and I know isnt done right- In fact, I am so lost at this point I am about to the giving up point on this Fog Of War feature which is something I need for my games and was something that was intuitive and easy in every tabletop program but this one... Which is sad.

I'm giving it another few hours before I give up for good- This is an awesome program which will save time and do everything I want until it hits this point- And I feel like an unprepared kid taking a calculus test after studying from a textbook missing 3/4 of its pages.

=(

***Sorry- I am really frustrated right now.

EDIT 2- The saga continues... =P

I figured out the Fog of War and honestly its pretty slick now that I understand it. Took running a payer account and a GM account to experiment and see how it worked- The documentation out there was sparse and even contradictory (I saw a video that shows how to use the fog of war like I explained above with the gray transparency and I cannot find the option) but all is well.

I will be picking this up tonight sometime- Still would like to know if the maps and assets will be compatible with the new version. Thanks

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member