1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Skills messed up

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thrillba, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

For some reason on some of my characters that I import from HL, they have a +3 misc added to skill checks - whats the deal.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

When a skill is a class skill and you get a rank in pathfinder you get a +3 to that skill check.

Since there is no way to determine what are class skills it is assumed if you have a rank that it is a class skill. So some may be off, but a majority should be spot on.

3. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

i hate to say it, but no one should assume, its causing work in the long run.

Why was it programmed to think that people would only take ranks in a class skill - that doesn't make sense.

4. ogexam

ogexam Member

The export files from herolabs does NOT state if a skill is a class skill or not.

Since a majority of skills taken are class skills it makes sense to go will all class skills and be wrong a small percentage of time, with a few skills getting an extra +3 then to have a majority of skills missing the +3 they should have. It is far easier to fix 1 or 2 skills then 10.

5. Thrillba

Thrillba Member

i can understand that, that is also easier than programming d20pro to know what skill is a class skill and then adding the appropriate +3. I know that would be a lot of extra programming because you work with so many different systems. thanks for the help.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Please also keep in mind that we work with the data we are given - that is, the data from Hero Labs doesn't specify what is class or not. Rulebooks, feats, expansions, and systems all can change what is or isn't a class skill.

Our core Philosophy is that d20pro is a flexible tool - not an automated engine - and you can make small adjustments and corrections whenever needed. We hope that the small corrections needed are balanced by the general ease of import.