1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

skype vs hangout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kinwolf, Feb 6, 2016.

1. kinwolf

kinwolf Member

Before trying to tell the gang to install x or y , I thought I'd ask what is people experience with Skype or google hangout when used for video and voice in combination with D20pro.

1st: Does using any of those slow down D20Pro screen update?(since they will all be competing for bandwidth, and my upload speed is limited to 2Mb/s

2- Stability of connection? 2 years ago, we tried hangout but the image kept freezing every 15 mins. Turned out it was using so much memory it eventually dropped connections. Is it more stable now? I've never used skype with more than one person so not sure how memory usage is?

3- Features 'nice to have'. Any of those 2 has some feature useful for RPG, like being able to speak to a single person only so that the others don't ear what you are saying to that person?

Thank :)

2. Robotguy

Robotguy Member

We use Hangouts, but only for voice (no video) and rarely have any problems.

3. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

My groups use Skype.

Whoever has the strongest internet connection is requested to host the Skype session. Skype does use a lot of resources, though the compatibility with all our members is great and sound quality is the best out of all the options we've tried. Though that said, your results might be different. :) I'd use whatever you and your group like the best.