1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Some Newb Questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Stuie, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Stuie

Stuie New Member

My install of d20pro does not appear to be complete. All the libraries are empty. I was given to believe that there would be a set of the "standard" d20 creatures for use, which I could then modify if needed. If I have to create everything from scratch I'm not going to be very happy with this purchase.

Any ideas where I might have gone wrong? I can't even get through the quick start guide because the content isn't there. I know there's stuff in the marketplace, but like I said I was lead to believe there would be content included with the base install.

2. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

I do believe this is being resolved via support email, don't mind either venue, which would you prefer to continue in?

There are indeed things in the Marketplace that are free .. they are there to help you get started.. they do not come pre-installed, because we have to way of knowing, the game system or wants and needs any one particular GM is going to have. By doing it this way, it keeps the download size small, and allows the GMs to only get what they need.

3. Stuie

Stuie New Member

Ok I'm slowly getting the hang of this. The tool has some pretty cool features, and I've managed to set up my "old school" blue dungeon map pretty easily. One nagging question: is there any way to restrict players from moving through walls/obstacles, or are they on the honor system to obey the strictures of the space they are provided? Movement seems to be completely unfettered unless I'm missing something (again).

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Hi Stuie!

D20PRO's map functions for players the same way sitting at a real table does in regards to character movement. Players can move their token anywhere on the battlemap they select. Of course this means that they just ran through four walls and go ahead and let them roll damage on themself to reflect this (evil GM laugh, oh was that out loud?) and say they bounce off the wall, then move their character token back where it should be.

If your players have trouble containing themselves in the explore mode, you can turn off auto-reveal fog of war and do it manually (if you have fog of war enabled on your map), If you don't have fog of war, then the above should suffice. :)

5. Stuie

Stuie New Member

Thanks for confirming - I'm warming up to this fast.

Next question: Is there any way to edit the rules being used? For instance, the system I use has lower bonuses for attributes, so I would like to be able to reflect those in the tool. That's just the start of what I'd like to edit, but the answer will give me the direction I need.

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

Not currently at this time, tho that might/is expected to change here in the near future.

7. Stuie

Stuie New Member

Well, unfortunately my group has decided to go with a different vtt. This program is not nearly as flexible as we were led to believe, and I'm sorry I spent the money. Live and learn. Seems like a good app for Pathfinder/4e games, but anything not supported is way too difficult to implement in the tool. Guess I own the license in case d20pro ever catches up with the flexibility of other vtt solutions that are available.

Thanks Krilion for trying to answer my questions. I do appreciate your help. And I wish the devs the best with the product.

8. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I think you will find that each vtt has it's own set of issues and limitations. D20PRO is rapidly expanding it's abilities in not only what it does, but more importantly; how it does it. I'm still willing and would be happy to sit down with you via skype/discord/teamspeak and see if we can resolve what it is you are looking for.