1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Some questions about D20Pro

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Wheels, Nov 27, 2015.

1. Wheels

Wheels Member

hello all,

I started a new campaign in 3.5 with some friends using D20Pro for the first time and we have been doing some trial combat tests to test it out and some questions arose:

[1] When a creature is damaged, it's token is painted red that represents the damage taken. Is there a way to not show this to players? I dont want them to know "Oh he almost dead so lets to this or that".

[2] I have D20Pro Judge licence with 6 guest slots. All my players use these slots and it seems they cant edit their characters? It's really annoying that i have to manage them all.

[3] Is there a way for players to ping a place on the map so other players know where he is pointing?

[4] I'm going to allow cantrips at will. Is there a way to do this in D20Pro?

[5] Yesterday we where doing a combat trial and I had a bunch of creatures hidden. Everytime I passed iniciative, a sound rang for everyone and they knew immediately how many creatures there where. How can i prevent this?

[6] Lets imagine that I created a new creature and then dragged it to a map. I see a mistake and edit the creature. Is there a way to update the creature on the map without deleting it and dragging it back again?

For now these are all the question I remeber.

Thank you all

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes.
    http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMOptions.php
    Options > Judge > Damage Reveal (drop down menu) select appropriate for your GM style.

You could "share" a common Judge license to edit characters (don't overly abuse this method, as we do have a log of which licenses are repeatedly reinstalled and by which IP/when/etc) then have them save, export, and send to you so you can just import them real quick. Or they could purchase a Judge license to do the same. Or you could have them export a Hero Lab character into d20Pro format and send to you each time they level.

Use Map Markers. If you have an updated version of the ruleset, it should come with a nice selection of different color pointers (so each player could have their own color). http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMGameTools.php and http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGPStory.php

I use any unlimited spell casting under the Ability Tab, see "Ability Tab" section http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGPCreatures.php

This is in the Roster showing all the creatures on initiative in order. http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMRoster.php
    If you want to hide your enemies on the roster (both Active Roster and Passive Roster) until they attack a player make the creature invisible status http://www.d20pro.com/help/UGGMVisibility.php . Please note if you have multiple maps open to make sure other creatures on other maps are Off Initiative (Right-click > Initiative > Leave Initiative)

The Library is a place where you keep original copies of every creature. Once you move a creature from the Library onto the Map, it's a simple copy creature to map, and it does not link that creature to the map entry (this way you can create lots of bad guy goblins without all sharing one HP stat, and etc). So if you see an error after you place a creature on the map, simply update it in both places, or update it once then resave the creature to the library (Right-click > Location > Save Creature)

3. Wheels

Wheels Member

Thank you for responses. They where really useful.

Another question arose: The Monk's ability Stunning fists stuns an enemy if they fail a fortitude check. I created an ability for the player to use and it works fine. Was wondering if its possible to automatically apply the Stunned Status ?

4. Wesley Gorby

Wesley Gorby Production/Community Manager
    Staff Member

Unfortunately under the current build of D20PRO there is not a way to automatically apply a status marker to a token. Tho, given the amount of times this has been asked about, I suspect it will be in the D20PRO Unlimited (Kickstarter build) at some point..

5. Wheels

Wheels Member

Is there a way to do this with an extension through the provided API ?

6. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

not that I can think of, since it would still be outside the mechanical structure of the Ability/Effect and thus wouldn't be any more or less cumbersome than the current method of; right click on the target, selecting status and picking the appropriate status icon.

but, I'm certainly not an authority on the API, you are more than welcome to take a stab at it.. please let us know what you find..

7. Ken L

Ken L Member

I was trying to figure this out as well. I was trying to figure out how to tie effects to status markers but it turns out that's not possible.

8. Wheels

Wheels Member

More questions arise as more sessions come into play.

1. There are spells like "Ray of Enfeeblement" that take 1d4+X amount of strength but when I edit the spell effect it only allows me to put a fix number. Is there a way to allow me to take 1d4 of strength from a player for the duration of the spell?

2. There are some monsters that have extra damage on their attacks like poison. Is there a way to add 1d6 STR if they fail a CON save? if not how do you handle poisons in D20Pro?

thank you in advance ^^

9. Wesley Gorby

Staff Member

I generally do my poisons like this.

which will track duration and if they saved or not. Then I have the player use core dice for the stat loss and record the needed change on the character. I'll usually add a status marker to the token like "-3 Poison" as well.

Attached Files:

10. Wheels

Wheels Member

Thank you for the response. I found it better roll the result of the loss and punch in the values at the time. This way no need to edit the char and the program automatically remove and calculates the new values for attacks.

I have a new question concerning spells with touch / ranged attacks. Right now the player has an attack configured to be a ranged / touch attack that deals no damage if it hits then the player casts the spell. Is there a way to cast the spell and make the ranged attack at the same time?

thank you

11. KainPen

KainPen Member

I for spell and poison and disease, I take the average number of the die being rolled and apply that instead of rolling. I do the same for monster and players, and my players know this before hand. so it is fair and they under stand.

for things like Poison that have saves for several rounds I do the following.
    I program in 4 at will ability for monster
    title such
    1)poison save initial I set this up with the duration what ever it is, if die roll duration, I do average, with the actual save fort/ negate. (this is just to keep track of duration of the poison and see if they even going to take damage from poison)
    2)poison initial failed save and set the ability damage to fail save with duration to infinite (this is because the ability damage take a day to heal while poison duration are only a few rounds this damage sticks around even after the poison has run it's course so i adjust the amount after resting or spell cast to restore it also no save is placed on this as the person has already fails his 1st save.)

Save are placed in both of these as player gets a save on each onset round to negate the damage poison does on that rd, and these are done on the players turns (Most people and GM miss this and and fail to realize a character get hit by poison twice in the 1st round)
    3)poison onset damage for even rounds is av damage +1 with duration to infinite (this +1 or -1 is to taking into account that the average dice role is half dice+.5)

4)poison onset damage for odd rounds is av damage -1 with duration to infinite

This is the the most accurate way I found to do a semi automated effect like this in current version program.