1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Sort Column for Attacks

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by Thurgian, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

The attack window currently allows you to sort attacks on several Criteria. However, once you select a Criteria, you cfan never return the list to it's default order. Additionally, when copying an attack, the new attack is placed at the bottom of the list and not next to the original attack.

The end result is that it can be difficult or even impossible to have the attacks listed in a desireable or logical order. I believe the easies answer woulod be to add an "Display Order" column, which accepts a numerical input. This would allow the specification of the order of displayed attacks.

This isn't necessarily problematic for low level, or low # of attack, characters; but is extremely annoying for players that have 3+ pages of attacks.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

That would be an easy solution, but takes up room on the screen. Maybe if it was a hidden column that you need to open up another window to set the order.

Or maybe a way to move attack up or down, highlight the attack then have an up and down arrow to allow it to be shifted up or down in the list.

I think the later would be cleaner.

3. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

I think your solution is also cleaner; but presumed it was more work :)

4. bigkilla

bigkilla Member

After you copy the attack all you have to do is hit the Name section above the attacks and it sorts them by name alphabetically, you can also sort them by crit damage and all the other columns. I'm not sure if thats what you were talking about though.

5. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Actually I did a sort alphabetically, and my Twin Strike (Melee) was nowhere near my Twin Strike (Ranged). Although, alphabetically, nothing should have been between the two. Also, performing any sort at all relocates the basic attacks from the beginning of the list (where my players like them).

There is a current work-a-round, however. Change the +hit of each attack to the sort-order you want; and then sort by +hit. Of course, you then have to re-enter all of the appropriate +hits (defeating the fact that the software had imported that information for you).

6. Dan

Dan Member

We use the naming convention:

Basic attack
    -At will attack
    *Encounter attack
    **daily attack

Then you can sort and get your attacks in order of frequency. Works well with several pages worth of attacks.

7. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

While that does work, it does present a problem.

- is greater than *

As such, attacks preceded by a - are sent to the end of the list. Inverting the sort will move the - attacks to the top of the list, but then they will be in reverse alphabetical order.

Even if I find a character to use in place of the -, whenever an attack has a name that appears before the name of the equipped weapon, the weapon will move down the list.

I suppose I can fix this, I just need a symbol for use with melee/ranged basic attacks and one for @will attacks - that will allow me to sort items the way I want them.

Edit: It appears that all of these symbols have a sort priority less than the asterisk:

! " # $ % & ' ( )

I will be using # for Melee Basic Attack, $ for Ranged, and ' for @will

8. Dan

Dan Member

That works for now. Sorting attacks via a custom method is a good idea.