1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Spell Effects and Tutorial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mandos, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Re: Questions? Try the d20Pro Helpdesk

-On creating a spell effect, I tried to make a "Bless" effect to deploy. Is there a way to make the effect scale to level? I was able to make it "1 min" but will I have to edit the effect on the fly based on the caster's current level?

-Is there a tutorial anywhere that walks you through specifics, i.e. not making "a monster" but a specific monster with particular abilities, etc.

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

There is not a way to tie an effect to a caster level at this point in time.

No tutorial.

If you have questions please ask, a lot of people will be happy to answer them the best they can.

3. Mandos

Mandos New Member

Thanks for responding--I'll try and ask specific questions as I bump up against them.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Spell Effects Tutorial

I created a tutorial as your request.

5. Mandos

Mandos New Member

God bless you for that--I'm truly grateful :)

6. Mandos

Mandos New Member

I'm working on Monster abilities as well, i.e. building with effects. How would you build a shadow w/ a strength damaging attack? I see where I can apply damage with a dice roll, and ability changes with an integer--is there a way to put in an ability damaging roll?

7. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Currently, a random number generator for ability damage is not supported. I think they are working to support this feature request in a future version of d20Pro.

What I do, is create each one as a separate ability, have the player roll the appropriate die roll, have the player roll their save, then apply the ability. Thus, let's say "This Ability" does 1D6 CON damage. I create 6 abilities (-1CON, -2CON, -3CON, etc, up to -6CON), then have the player roll a save, if they save and only take half damage, I have them roll and apply the one that is needed. Yes, this takes longer to build on the GM's end prior to game-time, but it will speed up game play tremendously. And, it will get you through until this feature is implemented.