1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Spellcasting

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ken L, Jan 14, 2016.

1. Ken L

Ken L Member

How spellbooks are managed is pretty wobbly. The freeform option limits it to one per cast. For newer classes such as warpriest, I don't have any spell progression.

Rather than binding to tables, perhaps spells could be done by casting type? spontaneous/prepared/spell-point. This would allow for more flexible means of configuration.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, the current spellcasting tab isn't as useful for me. I use the abilities tab for my creature's spellcasting abilities. There are many topics on here with this conversation and even a blog post about it. Perhaps after we implement 5E rules we'll come back and modify this area too, as yes, it does need attention.

3. Ken L

Ken L Member

Is there a format for importing spells? From the manually defined list, I just see a name listing.

A way to import spells and bind a setting from the effects system.

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yeah, the spell system was originally designed just to keep track of what spells you had memorized. Then later on we added abilities, so to make it sorta work we could cast a spell then load a saved spell ability.

Currently the spells.txt just contains the Spell Names of each spell available in the world.
    Then the classes.txt file contains which classes have access to which spells and at which level.

The Spell's tab can either work from the classes.txt listing or freeform which allows access to all spells at any level.
    Only once the spell is cast can the user attach an effect, either pull from a saved effect or enter it manually.

The saved effects is per user, so even if you have a large library of saved effects it won't be accessible to your players. If you wanted to share your saved effects to your players or vice versa, there's a way - just distribute the associated file.

I just skip the spells tab and put them in abilities tab, as there you have the option to bind the effect.

5. Ken L

Ken L Member

Piggybacking a bit on the spell-casting.

For the abilities per day, charge, quantity, etc... Is there a way to pool together resources? This would help for multiple abilities that draw from a single pool be it Ki, exploits, mana pool, grit, luck and more. Perhaps support for multiple pools for conformations like magus 5/gunslinger 2/swashbuckler 1 (pathfinder).

Where panache/grit can combine to a single pool, but arcane pool points are separate.

6. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I would put ki, grit, etc(pools) into uses per day. Then the real abilities into at-will. That's what I do, and it works for me.

7. Ken L

Ken L Member

I've noticed that as I use the ability, it doesn't decrement its uses per day so I'd need to decrement this manually. For abilities sharing a single pool that means if I use one, i'd need to update the uses for all of the associated abilities.

8. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

For spontaneous casters, I typically put all spells and abilities as at-will:
    [​IMG]

Then in Per Day, I use a simple counter for each spell level:
    [​IMG]

Yes, player basically uses two abilities to complete the action, but it's an adaptation of what we have available to use currently.

In the future this may change to make it easier :)