1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Spells for 3.5

Discussion in 'D&D 3.X Edition' started by Monkey-X, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Monkey-X

Monkey-X New Member

Hey all. I just downloaded the trial version and I'm very impressed but has anyone imputted the information for spells yet? I like that everything can be overridden but as my players won't have access to a PHB id like them to be able to know exactly what each spell does etc.
    Many thanks.

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

I think the best way for each player to know what each spell does is to share the 3.5 OGL spells.

Have them visit: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm for quick online access of all 3.5 spells :)

You can create an "Handout" in your "Handout Library" and press the button that says "Create from URL" and simply enter the above URL. Then share to all your players. OR, simply email them the link so they can review the spells before game :)

Enjoy!

3. Monkey-X

Monkey-X New Member

Good idea. As a side question if i were to cut and paste all the spell descriptions from the SRD into the spell interface I assume they would stay there so a player could alter say magic missile damage himself after looking at the description?

4. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, after you enter all the spell descriptions you can send out a copy for all your players to use when using spells. After you have created them you can post them here so others can rejoice in all the hard work you put in typing (copy-paste) descriptions of each spell. Please follow: http://forums.d20pro.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=930 for directions on how to send your effects to your players and to share with the community.

5. Truwen

Truwen Member

Sorry for reviving an older post, but this caught my interest. We have players that don't exactly know much about D20pro and are finding it rough to add their spells/effects to our game.

So I am taking it upon myself to put the effects into my judge for them, and then eventually migrating the file to each of them. So I am just wondering if this discussion is talking about the drop down list when creating an effect for a spell. Like magic missile for example, I set it up for a level 5 wizard to shoot...I think 3 bolts (not looking at any of the rules right now so hard to be accurate)? At any rate, I am tired and wondering if this is talking about editing effects in game or in a text file.

Thanks.

6. Truwen

Truwen Member

Never mind, figured it out by backing up old files and renaming new accordingly and testing with my player license. Worked perfectly.

7. Vision9000

Vision9000 Member

Update: I moved the Spells which don't require a ranged or melee (touch) attack out of my attacks tab, and use the effects tab. When I saw the breath weapon for the Hell Hound with typed, diced fire damage, I saw how to handle other effects.

I'm still figuring out the ins and outs of spells for this tool.

I've got plenty of abilities that affect the "caster" or target(s) (whether Ex, Su, or Sp) [or Spell], for some duration, and including any saving throws allowed. This works for the modifiers that can be specified in the effects panel.

I've got attacks set up that represent spells. And modified attacks when certain spells or abilities are in effect (e.g. "Smite Evil" anyone?).

Paladin example attacks:

ToHit Name Damage Crit Type Vs +6/+1 Style
    ------ ------- ---------- ---- ------ --- ------ --------
    +2 Warhammer +2 (Axiomatic) d8+2 bludgeoning,magic,lawful x3 STR/STR AC Yes 1-Hand
    +2 Warhammer +2 (Axiomatic) vs Chaotic d8+2 bludgeoning,magic
    2d6 lawful
    +5 Smite Evil: Warhammer +2...vs Chaotic d8+2 bludgeoning,magic
    2d6 lawful
    0d1+8 [note: paladin's lvl]
    -8 Turn Undead [60 ft;...pal lvl-3; p.159] 2d6+5 good CHA/CHA
    [note: the minus to hit is to make the check correct. this attack shows as: +3 to hit, 2d6+8 damage, which is correct for an 8th lvl paladin with a +3 CHA modifier who turns as a cleric 3 lvls lower; this is not confirmed as real hits and damage, of course, but helps with quick player-driven rolls/calcs compared to chart p.159]
    +0 Awaken Sin (Clr 2) [uncon..Wis dmg] 8d6 subdual x2 STR/-- Touch No 1-hand
    Et cetera.

Fighter example attacks:

+2 Dwarven Waraxe +2 (keen, knockback) d10+2 slashing,magic 19-20x3 STR/STR AC Yes 1-hand
    +2 [wield 2-hand] Waraxe...[Fort DC 19...] d10+2 slashing,magic 2-hand
    [note: this gives the 1.5 STR damage]
    +2 Large Dwarven Waraxe +2... d12+2 slashing,magic
    [note: this guy gets the Enlarge spell sometimes, so it increases the weapon's size damage; I'll alter the character's size on-the-fly to alter those to hit and STR modifiers and they'll be auto-included]
    +0 Improved Trip [STR+4;Defend+4 dwarf..] 0d1 x2 STR/-- Touch Yes 1-hand
    [note: this is just to resolve the touch attack; I put notes for the follow-up STR check, and to defend if needed]

Druid example attacks:

+0 Produce Flame [save no; SR yes] d6+5 fire x2 STR/-- Touch No 1-hand
    +0 Produce Flame (ranged 120')[save...] d6+5 fire x2 DEX/-- Touch No 1-hand
    +0 Flame Blade [ignite;save no; SR yes] d8+4 fire x2 STR/-- Touch Yes 1-hand

Wizard example attacks:

+1 Dagger +1 d4+1 piercing,slashing,magic x2 STR/STR AC Yes 1-hand
    +0 Blast of Force [180';Fort DC18 or prone] 4d6 force x2 DEX/-- Touch No 1-hand
    +0 Combust [Ref DC 15 or ignite] 8d8 fire x2 STR/-- Touch No 1-hand
    +0 Orb of Force [45';no save or SR] 8d6 force x2 DEX/-- Touch No 1-hand

For other effects, I just have brief notes in the attack or ability description/label that lets me know what save and what effect so I can directly apply it to the targets. I'll also use one of the generic conditions as necessary. I'd like more conditions or to figure out how to modify the meta files to get grappling, clobbered, etc.

I'm also listing the Spells as per day abilities since I can free-form add any from any resource. I pre-pend a label so they sort by level.

Wiz 0: Caltrops (Sp) [range 45'; four 5'x5' squares; melee attack +3; ignore target shield...
    Wiz 1: Mage Armor (Sp) [creature touched; +4 force armor bonus]
    Wiz 2: Invisibility (Sp)
    Wiz 3: Dragonskin (Sp) [range personal; natural armor bonus +4; energy resistance depending upon type]
    Wiz 4: Chains of Vengeance (Sp) [Ref DC 20 negates; 2d6 electricity (substitution); full round break free...

I know this is not specifically about the poster's question, but I hope these tips & techniques I've discovered recently will help someone. This may all be explained elsewhere, but I hadn't encountered it yet.

Happy gaming!