1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Sticky Tiles not quite sticky enough?

Discussion in 'Bug Reports & Installation Support' started by Doskious, Jun 3, 2012.

1. Doskious

Doskious New Member

I was really looking forward to the sticky tile feature in v3.2, and in the Beta it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for - now I'm kicking myself for not thinking to try this...

I have an adventure site that has four floors, and I planned to use the sticky tile feature to present my players with one integrated map of layered (100% overlapping) tiles with enemies separated according to layers. When I tested this in the beta, everything seemed fine, but I neglected to test what would happen with an overlapping map setup like this after the program is closed and re-opened. Much to my dismay, today, I have discovered that in this case, all creatures gravitate to the top-most layer on the map, essentially "forgetting" their original layer-affiliation on the re-opened map.

To be honest I'm not sure if this is a bug or working as intended, but either way it's a slightly sad discovery for me that suggests I'll need to either run a much larger unlayered map, make 4 maps, or not have the creatures pre-placed on the map. Given that Fog of War has no present layer-affiliation, I suspect that making 4 maps is the best solution for me.

Creatures not retaining sticky-tile affiliation in the case of overlapping sticky tiles seems like it might be a bug; giving FoW polygons the ability to flag sticky-tile affiliation would be additional gravy.

Sorry I missed these thoughts during the Beta. :p

2. edwardcd

edwardcd Administrator
    Staff Member

The way that Sticky Tiles were designed and envisioned originally was to have a single layer of the map (such as vehicles - for if two vehicles shared the same grid it would certainly be called a crash) that creatures are placed on be movable. Thus, if a tile was identified as "sticky" it would move and rotate all creatures above it.

It seems that you may have use for Sticky Tiles with ownership of selected creatures. So, you would have to identify which sticky tile owns which creatures in order for movement and rotation to work properly for only a set of creatures.