1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions for running 4ed in d20pro

Discussion in 'D&D 4th Edition' started by Gnoll, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Gnoll

Gnoll New Member

Greetings all,

Monday I ran a 4ed Eberron session for my gaming group using d20pro. The players really enjoyed it. Thank you for a great VT gaming system.

Couple of questions came up:

1. Is there a way to select multiple targets using the burst / blast feature in an "Attack"? (example: At-will Wizard Scorching Blast)
    (currently it seems you must use "Abilities" tab in the characters profile to select multiple targets for one power. or you have to attack multiple times with your attack) It would be cool if the "attack" could allow the player to select blast / burst targets as an option.
    2. The program crashed on me when I tried to load up a large global map picture. Using a low-res version was ok. In the new version has this been fixed?
    3. To mark / hunter's quarry a target I changed the team border. It works alright. Hopefully the player can mark targets in the future?
    4. When switching maps between encounters, what is the best way to save characters in the current states? I found that when I reloaded with a new map and dragged the players from the library that HP, surges, daily powers were all reset. I saw read something about Limbo, but I missed something?

Thanks again for bringing our gaming group back

2. ogexam

ogexam Member

1. Not based on an attack. If you do an effect and put a template down then all creatures under the template are put into the list of creature to effect. We are working on tying attacks, effects and abilities all together. which will give you teh ability to attack multiple creatures using a template and an attack.
    To simulate it now, edit the creature and copy the Scorching Blast a bunch of times, and when you attack the player will choose how many attacks equal to the number of creatures to be effected then click once on each creature.

2. I have no clue on that one. Hopefully someone else has more info for you on that one.

3. Players can add there own markers, though they are static and if a creature moves they will have to move their marker.

4. Best way to move characters from one map to another and keep their current state is as follows:
    a. Creatures are on a map in a state and you want to move them to another map
    b. Open second map
    c. go back to first map and highlight creatures to move
    d. right click->alter->move to map (I am doing the menu from memory so the wording and location may be different)
    e. then choose which map to move them to.
    They are now moved and in the exact same state they were in on the first map, now you can close the first map.

3. Dan

Dan Member

I would recommend that you read our 4E page on our wiki. In particular, take a look at the attacks section.
    http://help.mindgene.com/advanced/other ... ttacks-Tab
    For attacks that hit a group of foes, like Burning Hands, you should create a single attack, then use the Copy function to duplicate it for several attacks. Remember that d20pro will group adjacent copies into Attack Sets.

You may be running with too little RAM alloted to Java for that size map. Follow the directions on our wiki to increase your RAM allotment. Set it to about 768 or 1024.
    https://sites.google.com/a/mindgene.com ... tem-tweaks

The creatures in the library are basically templates. Think of them as fresh, new minis. If you want to move your characters, then right-click > Location > Move to Map. Dragging new ones from the library creates fresh instances. To save character changes to the library, just right-click > location > Save Creature and it will write it to the library as a template. Basically, you will almost always move characters to other maps rather than drag new ones onto the map.

4. Gnoll

Gnoll New Member

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was able to change the memory allocation and played with copying the attack. :D That will work.

5. CPaladino

CPaladino New Member

After lots of experimenting (I have run my 6 player group through the entire Keep on the Shadowfell w/ D20 Pro, and love it), I found the EASIEST way to do status effects (Fighter's Mark, Warlock's Curse, Immobilized, etc) is to add an effect ("X" key, go to Description panel type in the description, go to Effect duration and make it 5 minutes for saving-throw effects and 2 rounds for things like Mark since they last until the END of the generator's gurn). Then delete the effect when it goes away.

6. Dan

Dan Member

Effects work very well. For Marks, I just change their team color (right-click > alter > team) because you can only have 1 mark on you at a time anyways. Each PC that marks gets a dedicated color. Sometimes I do the same with Curses and Quarry too.