1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. While the majority of active discourse on D20PRO has moved to our Discord Channels, this forum is still active and checked-in on regularly by our staff. However, for the very latest information, conversation and/or immediate support, please join us on Discord here: http://discord.gg/Ph38ckM
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestions

Discussion in 'Feature Requests' started by neofax, May 24, 2010.

1. neofax

neofax New Member

Below is my laundry list of items I think are pertinent to playing a VTT:

1. Scriptability(JS/Python/Perl...)
    2. VBL/MBL(Movement Blocking Layer) to include movement cost
    3. Dynamic lighting i.e. token is moved and FoW is lifted based on characters sight/lighting/conditions
    4. Table/Database i.e. fill in with info and use it to generate random info(wandering monsters/npc speech/general store wares/tavern rumors...)
    5. Waypoints used to show exact player movement(I know this can be accomplished by moving your token, letting it go, re-moving token, rinse & repeat, but that is a PITA)
    6. Whisper between characters
    7. Inline chat codes i.e. /ooc = out of character, /e = emote, /w = whisper, /r 1d20+3 = dice roll
    8. Multiple layers so I can easily remove roofs and floors and such
    9. Handouts(Wanted posters, Landscape pics, Faction notes...)

2. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

First I am not arguing :)

But not having to code anything, even a simple script, is one of the reasons I chose D20Pro. I can code, and I do so when my work requires it; but it isn't something that interests me when I am pursuing entertainment.

Some of the other items, I would like to see - others not so much; but no coding please.

Oh, and I thought that D20Pro had one of the better methods for doing handouts. My current dungeon level (not campaign, just this one level) has over 100 handouts.

3. neofax

neofax New Member

How do you do handouts? As for coding, I would love to be able to automate a lot of the tedium. Not so much to get to the nuts and bolts of the system.

4. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

If you open the Library tool, there are 4 options:

Creature, Map, Item, Handout

On the handout tab, you can choose create-file, create-url, etc.

I narmally use Windows built-in "Snipping Tool" to capture infromation from PDF's or Websites; and the save them to a folder specific to my campaign; and with an appropriate name. Using the create-file option, I load the previously created file and the proper handout appears.

You then have the option of sending the handout to the players, determine which players get to seet it, and removing it from player view when you wish.

I haven't tried the URL version; but I am certain it works equally well.

5. ogexam

ogexam Member

We already have some of the suggestions you have asked for:

You can type in /roll 5d6+5 in the chat area and you get the result

You can do multiple layers by using the scale tool and hide layers or put one ontop of the other. Then while your game is gonig on the DM can make a tile visisble, or bring it to the front .

Handouts exist as well.

You can tell directly to other players, and you can do emotes as well...

Dynamic lighting is on our list of things to do, we want that too.

what kind of scripting? What do you want to run off of a script?

Not sure what you are wanting on number 2

On the waypoints you want somethign that leaves a trail as you move a character? How long would you want them to presist?

6. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to add to Wes's response. If either of you would like a tutorial, please send me a PM and I will set something up with Daniel or myself.

Best,

Nick

7. neofax

neofax New Member

I would like to thank Nick for taking time out of his Memorial Day weekend to run a small tutorial with me! After that, I would like to correct my previous list:

1. Scriptability(JS/Python/Perl...)
    Currently not included in d20Pro, but probably not needed as the programmers have made the system very robust enough to accomplish most of the scripting I would like to do myself, or will have the capability in the future. i.e. equip ring of protection and AC gets the deflection bonus, Web spell forces the pc/npcs to roll reflex save...

2. VBL/MBL(Movement Blocking Layer) to include movement cost
    Currently the VBL is taken into account by FoW, but not hard VBL such as walls, trees, objects... MBL is not done at all and is a DM/PC thing to arbitrate. I would like to set MBL like FoW where you lay down cells and set the cost like x2, impassable...

3. Dynamic lighting i.e. token is moved and FoW is lifted based on characters sight/lighting/conditions
    Not in the current build, but is on the list of thing to do

4. Table/Database i.e. fill in with info and use it to generate random info(wandering monsters/npc speech/general store wares/tavern rumors...)
    Not in the current build

5. Waypoints used to show exact player movement(I know this can be accomplished by moving your token, letting it go, re-moving token, rinse & repeat, but that is a PITA)
    This is kinda a PITA IMHO on how it is done currently. I would like to be able to move to a point and push a button and it sets a diamond or some symbol, then move some more and push the button and a new diamond appears and during this my mov speed is being calculated and shown. After my turn is done, the waypoints and path vanish.

6. Whisper between characters
    Didn't go over this, so I do not know if the feature is available. (Sorry I forgot to ask. Mea Culpa!)

7. Inline chat codes i.e. /ooc = out of character, /e = emote, /w = whisper, /r 1d20+3 = dice roll
    Asked and answered

8. Multiple layers so I can easily remove roofs and floors and such
    Asked and answered

9. Handouts(Wanted posters, Landscape pics, Faction notes...)
    I guess with the new build you can send pdfs, so this is already in the system.

Overall, the program fulfills my needs and is really nice. I can't wait until the program can take into account all of a characters feats/spells/bonuses and such on the fly!

8. ogexam

ogexam Member

On item 5. When you are in combat mode it does track and show a line as you move around. So you can cancel your move and start over. It also shows have far you have moved.

6. You can, I think... hahahaha I do not use that feature personally

Just a mental note, we have designed d20Pro to be a gaming tool/aid and not a game in and of itself. We want to give the users features to help with their games, and not constrain them too much. The DM still has the final say and still has his work to do, but d20Pro helps in a ton of areas.

9. Thurgian

Thurgian New Member

Yes, you can whisper. It is one of the options when you press "T" for talk.

Right now, my players are sharing one machine (connected to a projector). I can't wait for them to get laptops, as I would make great use of the whisper feature. (Sometimes there are things only one playe needs to know ...)

10. Lord Elderon

Lord Elderon New Member

You are more than welcome NeoFax, it was my pleasure. On the whisper note you can choose whisper as one of the 'T' for talk options. Also, there is a way to send messages between players (it is actually between player clients, so if more than one player is logged onto the same machine...), but I am going to have to get back to you on that feature. It is a new feature to send messages between player clients, the GM sees the message as well.

Back with an answer soon. In the meantime, happy gaming!

Best,

Nick

11. thraxxis

thraxxis Member

Hail and well met neofax,

As mentioned, you can right-click on a Mini (or select and press T) to get the in-character dialog window.

Or, if you are looking to send a private message to another player, use the
    Code:
    /tell playername Here is a private message.
    command from the Game Log. You can also use the
    Code:
    /help 
    command to list information about player to player tell as well as other supported commands.

P.S. If you don't see the help command in the Game Log, make sure the Subscription tab you are looking at has the System Channel enabled.